Great Orme caves sealed off to stop homeless - Daily Post

royfellows

from the article:

"They could make a fire there to keep warm and cook some food, ....."

We all know what that does

Madness

Perhaps Rachel Carr should offer Mr Burton space on her floor/spare bedroom/garage etc.

Or perhaps she's not really his friend.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a lot of money has been spent on the steel gates and fences to keep these vagabonds out.  :-\  No doubt the homeless will still find some other unsafe place to hole up.  Makes you wonder if the money couldn't have been better spent  .

mch

At the risk of wandering off-topic, can I take exception to homeless rough sleepers being referred to as vagabonds. People do not become homeless through choice, it can happen to any one of you reading this (you might like to reflect that the main cause of homelessness, in this age where property ownership is seen as the ultimate goal, is relationship breakdown and the consequent loss of the usually jointly owned home). It would have been better for Conwy Borough Council to have spent the money on helping the 'vagabonds' find more suitable accommodation.

andrewmcleod

Approximately a third of homeless people have mental health issues.

Do you become homeless because your life sucks, or does your life suck because you become homeless? Probably both, but certainly once you are homeless the cycle is what keeps people out of rejoining 'normal' society. Is it any surprise that people turn to drugs, alcohol, crime?

Some of the best (and cheapest) policies for 'dealing' with homeless people start with giving them a stable home and helping them to sort out their mental, drug, alcohol and social problems later (see Housing First in Canada).

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
mch said:
At the risk of wandering off-topic, can I take exception to homeless rough sleepers being referred to as vagabonds. People do not become homeless through choice, it can happen to any one of you reading this (you might like to reflect that the main cause of homelessness, in this age where property ownership is seen as the ultimate goal, is relationship breakdown and the consequent loss of the usually jointly owned home). It would have been better for Conwy Borough Council to have spent the money on helping the 'vagabonds' find more suitable accommodation.

Exactly what I meant.  I referred to the homeless as vagabonds in a sympathetic way.  Reading the article that is the way they seem to have been portrayed by those wishing to keep them out of the caves.  The homeless are only going to find somewhere else to sleep/live and this is likely to be just as unsafe as the caves.  They could have spent the same money  on more shelter places for example.

RobinGriffiths

That metal fence is ugly. One of the cave dwellers in question has been in and out of the Daily Post for various transgressions over the last few years.

I tend to agree that if Conwy were to put a bit of effort to home them, the problem would go away. I wouldn't mind betting that doing so for 6 months wouldn't be that more expensive than putting that ugly fence up.

RobinGriffiths

mch said:

Agreed. It's not like the council won't know who they are. There's a soup kitchen car that turns up about 6ish of a Winter evening. They could easily send a councillor or a lackey down, and see what the problems and options would be.

mch

Badlad said:
I referred to the homeless as vagabonds in a sympathetic way.

My apologies, Badlad, for having misinterpreted your post. I must say that I was heartened to see from the posts that most folk are supportive of the plight of the homeless rough sleepers.