• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

Water Icicle Close Mine, TRO on Derby Lane

Jenny P

Water Icicle Close Mine

Derby Lane Traffic Regulation Order - Exemption for cavers.

Following representations to the Peak District National Park Authority, Derby Lane, a green lane used by cavers as a route to reach Water Icicle Close Mine, is now subject to a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO).  This is because of long-standing problems with 4X4 vehicles and motorbikes attempting to use it as a through route from Monyash to Long Rake and trashing the surface of the lane.  This TRO prohibits any vehicles (other than farm vehicles), driving up the lane beyond Summerhill Farm.  (Note that there are no changes to the usual arrangements for access to Water Icicle other than the TRO now affecting Derby Lane.)

Derbyshire Caving Association has been able to negotiate an exemption for cavers who wish to drive up the lane to park nearer to Water Icicle, rather than carry gear about a mile up the lane.  Cavers who need to drive up Derby Lane should email in advance to the Peak Park?s Sue Smith, who will then email them a permit to be displayed in the car windscreen.  Cavers need to provide name, vehicle details and the date or dates on which the exemption is required so that no enforcement action is taken against them.  Peak Park want to keep records of the use of the exemptions to see how things work out.

Cavers who are content to walk up the lane are asked not to park their vehicles on the Lane below Summerhill Farm as it is narrow here and this could interfere with farm traffic.  Vehicles will need to be parked down in one of the car parks in Monyash Village.

Cavers are asked to email in advance with Name, Vehicle details (registration, make & colour) and the date(s) the exemption is required to:    sue.smith@peakdistrict.gov.uk 

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Secretary

zomjon

That should be interesting now to see if caver traffic to Water Icicle is heavily curtailed. Diggers down there have got a bit of preplanning to sort out. I wonder at how short a notice you can obtain the parking permit?

Jenny P

The diggers are already sorted and have their permits arranged in advance.  The Wardens for the trips into the new extensions also have their permits sorted and should be advising anyone who has booked a trip via Orpheus Caving Club.

Otherwise, since this should be dealt with by email, it is suggested that a few days should be enough.

This is early days yet and we hope everything will work OK but, if there are any problems with getting permits or any delays, please let DCA know so that we can take it up with the Peak Park.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Sec.