• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Descent magazine

David Rose

Just want to say: what a great issue, the latest Descent. Riveting, superbly illustrated article on the Stormy Pot - Nettlebed connection; a tale of true determination in the exploration of Jenga Pot on the N Yorks Moors; really important contribution to the access debate from Tim Allen. I know this isn't exactly a lucrative business, so I'd like Chris Howes to know his work is truly appreciated. Long may he keep it up. 

martinm

David Rose said:
Just want to say: what a great issue, the latest Descent. Riveting, superbly illustrated article on the Stormy Pot - Nettlebed connection; a tale of true determination in the exploration of Jenga Pot on the N Yorks Moors; really important contribution to the access debate from Tim Allen. I know this isn't exactly a lucrative business, so I'd like Chris Howes to know his work is truly appreciated. Long may he keep it up.

Absolutely agree. Still reading it! Loadsa really interesting stuff in it, great photos, etc. Love it.  (y)

Pipster

Descent is awesome  8) I always look forward it landing on the door mat and usually read the whole thing in a day, much to the annoyance of my mrs who can't get an answer out of me!

I prefer to think of my Descent subscription as more of prescription: Take 1 copy every 2 months. ;)

It just needs people to keep on contributing the great articles.  :beer:

I recently acquired a whole load of back copies which have been brilliant to read. It's been great to see lots of familiar names - people who have been active for many years discovering all sorts of things that I had no idea they'd been involved with! Its been interesting to read some of the accounts of past breakthroughs in areas of cave you perhaps thought of always being accessible/open (and took for granted) where in actual fact a lot of hard work had gone into the digging and discovery. :bow:

martinm

If Chris doesn't follow this forum, I will send him a link to this thread. I'm sure he would appreciate the feedback. Great publication, must take a lot of work.  :bow:

Am currently writing another article for it myself and taking photos to go with the article. It is time consuming, but hopefully people will find it useful....

bograt

mmilner said:
If Chris doesn't follow this forum, I will send him a link to this thread. I'm sure he would appreciate the feedback. Great publication, must take a lot of work.  :bow:

Am currently writing another article for it myself and taking photos to go with the article. It is time consuming, but hopefully people will find it useful....

Make sure you send a copy to that other illustrious publication, the DCA Newsletter, I'm sure the new incumbent would welcome it! (y) (y)

badger

excellent read, only downside that every 2 months seems an absolute eternity. like pipster normally read the new edition in the first day. :clap:

Goydenman

Could not agree more. The quality of reports and photos etc are top notch and I too end up reading it all in one day. Good job Chris Howes  (y) I will keep up with my prescription

Pitlamp

Don't forget that Judith Calford also makes a massive contribution, quietly behind the scenes. Those of us with long enough memories will recall just how much Descent has evolved since Chris & Judith took it over. I think the British caving community owes them both a huge debt of gratitude.

graham

Pitlamp said:
Don't forget that Judith Calford also makes a massive contribution, quietly behind the scenes. Those of us with long enough memories will recall just how much Descent has evolved since Chris & Judith took it over. I think the British caving community owes them both a huge debt of gratitude.

Wholeheartedly agree, they are a team, through and through.

(Hi Judith)

cavermark

Anyone travelling between Sheffield or Bristol to Abergavenny this weekend want to demonstrate your appreciation to Chris and Judith by delivering a parcel to them?

Peter Burgess

mmilner said:
If Chris doesn't follow this forum, ....

Chris and Judith have followed the forum in the past, as they once phoned me over a debate here on a Welsh matter a few years back. I totally agree with all the supportive comments for them here.

mch

Totally agree with all the comments on this thread. Just renewed my subscription for another 3 years and am about to re-read the current edition.

martinm

bograt said:
mmilner said:

Make sure you send a copy to that other illustrious publication, the DCA Newsletter, I'm sure the new incumbent would welcome it! (y) (y)

Terry, the "new incumbent" has got enough of my entrance conservation work material and photos for now.

Chris (Descent) told me I'll have to write a new article for DCA which I will do in due course. (After the next issue of both mags come out.)