• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Herne Hill Cave Maltby

Some on has done a dam good job cleaning up Herne hill cave  (y) but on a negative note it is insecure some has forced the door! If you are involved with the site I thought you would like to know to protect access,

pwhole

I wish I'd known you were going there, as I'd love to see this one - Maltby played a large part in my childhood in various ways. Also (at the risk of sounding like a real pedant), technically this should probably be in the 'Yorkshire' section...;)

Jenny P

HHC's nos. 1 & 2 were discovered many years ago by Mouldywarps but no. 3, in the supermarket car park, was found and gated by Tony Gibbs and co. when he was DCA Conservation & Access Officer.  That's why it's in CoPD under the Magnesian Limestone section. 

This section of CoPD also includes the oddities like Pleasley Vale Railway Cutting Pot, the stuff near Worksop and the Cresswell Crags caves which are down in Nottinghamshire.

bograt

pwhole said:
( technically this should probably be in the 'Yorkshire' section...;)

In print its in COPD, on this interweb thingy its in "Other areas,Yorkshire( South), not the Dales" (UKC Wiki.), also in Cave Maps, "Magnesian Limestone".

martinb

One of our lads passed Herne Hills 1 this evening and has made a temporary fix to the gate which has, for the time being, meant that HH1 is padlocked.

One of the hinges is a tad buggered as well, but hopefully something will be sorted over this coming weekend and HH1 will revert to being opened by a Derbyshire Key.

martinb

pwhole said:
I wish I'd known you were going there, as I'd love to see this one - Maltby played a large part in my childhood in various ways. Also (at the risk of sounding like a real pedant), technically this should probably be in the 'Yorkshire' section...;)

I can make mid week evenings from about 6pm, let me know if you want a shufty.  8)

bograt

As present custodian of the access section of the Copd handbook, please keep me informed of any alternative arrangements, at present it reads;

"Maltby
HERNE HILL CAVES:
Main cave is gated secure at request of local police, and DCA has responsibility for
administering access. Gate secured with nuts and bolts, A pair of 2 adjustable spanners
required to undo gate. All entrances accessible from supermarket car park which management
kindly allows cavers to use. Caves scheduled as a RIGS."

Please keep DCA informed if there is any change.

Peacey

I'm off down this morning to remove the padlock and replace it with a shiny new bolt.....I'll keep you all informed  ;)

martinb

bograt said:
As present custodian of the access section of the Copd handbook, please keep me informed of any alternative arrangements, at present it reads;

"Maltby
HERNE HILL CAVES:
Main cave is gated secure at request of local police, and DCA has responsibility for
administering access. Gate secured with nuts and bolts, A pair of 2 adjustable spanners
required to undo gate. All entrances accessible from supermarket car park which management
kindly allows cavers to use. Caves scheduled as a RIGS."

Please keep DCA informed if there is any change.

HH1 is the cave refered to above with a gate that requires 2 'Derbyshire Keys'. Both HH2 and HH3 have/had been bricked up/blocked for some considerable time. Whether the bricking up/blocking has been done by cavers, the supermarket or by request of the local rozzers in anyones guess.

Unfortunately HH1 is very visible from the car park and does attract attention, the others are both round the rear of the store.

Chesterfield Caving Club have a small contingent of members in the area who have done the clean up of HH1, a bit of further exploration of the caves and are doing the current repairs to the gate.

Peacey

Normal service has now resumed at Maltby....padlock removed and a new bolt fitted  :clap: The area is a little bit of a mess again though and could maybe do with a few bin bags and a few people to help tidy it up  ;)

Rob

Heard through a mate at work that the gate has been broken again.

Pretty sure it was this site, although he's a local and not a caver...

aardgoose

Rob,

The issues with Herne Hill Caves are known about and arrangements are being made to maintain access. More info on the DCA web site.

Thanks for the news though.