Gerard Platten

langcliffe

Thanks Mike - rshc has pointed me in the direction of a South Wales obituary, and I'll chase up your Australian reference. The BCA Library does have a copy, I'm pleased to say.

rhychydwr1

from the British Caver:

GERARD PLATTEN 1899-1970

Geoff Roberts writes in the Mendip Caver:

Gerard Platten died in Lvmington Hospital on March 20th after a short illness. He started caving in the early thirties with a group of friends, at first on Mendip, where he was the first to enter Cow Hole, and later in South Wales, where he and his party explored the far reaches of Dan-yr-Ogof, to limits only passed in recent years.

In 1935 he helped found the Mendip Exploration Society, and later, its off shoot whose main interest was in South Wales, the 'Dragon Group', the forerunners of the present day Wessex Cave Club and South Wales Caving Club, The journal recording the activities of these societies was the Mendip Exploration Journal, the first issue being typewritten and duplicated. Subsequently a small printing press was purchased, and installed at his home, and, until, just after the war, all issues of what became the British Caver, after the first six issues, were printed on this press.

The British Caver was the official medium of publication for many small clubs and societies whose finances were too slender to support their own journal. The Editorial principle behind the BC was to circulate all material of interest to cavers, whether it was an original article, expressly written for the journal, or a reprint of material from a newspaper, a caving news sheet of small circulation, an overseas journal or even a private letter from one of his many correspondents. (Hot all of which were intended for publication!). It was produced and sold at a price calculated to just cover costs, and no profit was intended- The readership was large, but no more than 200 copies of any issue were produced.

Although it was a 'one man' journal, he was helped by many individuals over the years, particularly when illness made it difficult for him to bind up and duplicate issues. He suffered all his life from a severe tremor affecting his right side, and anyone who received a handwritten letter from him could see how difficult it made the small things of life for a man with his enthusiasms. During the years of the last war, when paper was in short supply, an acceptable subscription to the BC was "A ream of paper*, and the variety of papers used in one issue was an eloquent indication of how many people had assisted in this way.

No one who asked him for help and information- . ; t. ri , ; was refused and any hook . in his possession would he lent to anyone who was interested in the subject- .
the only exception being the bound copies of his own publication, which were virtually irreplaceable;. ,
He was an honorary member of many caving clubs and societies, and received copies of all the caving publications of importance.
It is a measure of his enthusiasm that;, even a month before his death, already crippled by the illness which was to end his life, he was still cutting stencils for the next issue.

To produce, single handed, more than fifty issues over 35 years, was a considerable achievement, and the service he has given to cavers over the years is immeasurable.

His keeness, and colourful personality made him one of the great characters of the caving world. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him, and indeed by all who have read his journals and received his letters.

Anne Oldham writes i

It must have been about ten years ago that I first made the acquaintance of Gerard, Flash and Twinkle (his two dogs), when I was taken down to Hew Milton by my husband to be introduced to t:a friend of mine?. Now only Twinkle remains.

Over the years we made many journeys down to see Gerard, sometimes with boxes for apples, for he always made sure we had a good supply from his orchard, and in later years, with the stencils and finished sheets of the British Caver. He also came to visit us several times, and then we would once again explore his old Mendip haunts, meet his old caving friends, and hear tales of caving exploits in the days when caving really was a sport for the hardy.

Although I did not know Gerard for very long I am glad to be able to call him one of my friends.

I shall always remember him for his kindness and generosity, but above all as an example of what one can attain by hard work , will power and a desire never to give up.

Brigadier E. A. Glennie writes:

Gerard Platten is perhaps best known to post-war cavers as the author and compiler of the British Caver, but he was also an active and proficient caver, until ill health made caving impossible.

A notable example was the early descent of Pant Mawr pothole. The party was a large one;

Gerard was leader and he kept the whole operation of laddering, lifelining and exploration closely under his control. At all times in his caving days he did much to help beginners without making things too easy. Thus often they had got accustomed to wide passages he would guide them to a narrow passage and when they were progressing well, he would turn aside and take an easy route to welcome them at the far end. He had of course previously explored the passage.

He played the same sort of joke on me in Porth yr Ogof; here, inside the Main Entrance turning off to the left is a narrow tank like pool of water about 1 ft. deep, apparently continuing as a submerged passage on the left side. He said this lead to a chamber which I ought to see. He refused to describe it, and I pictured a beautiful stalactite grottos so I ducked under and found a tank similar to that which I had left but with only 12 inches of airspace and a rock cover with no embellishments.
Gerard's interests were by no means restricted to caving. This is shown in the British Caver.  Everything connected with the countryside interested him and he had a retentive memory. He sat by my side whilst I was driving from Bath to the Swansea valley and told me in advance what interesting features I would see round the next bend of the road.

Mr. H. W.W. Ashworth writes in the Mendip Nature Research Committee Newsletter (No. 57 Spring 1970).
Gerard Platten, one of our two Honorary Members, died peacefully in Lymington Hospital near his New Forest home, on March 20th.He was 71.  He had been ill since he contracted influenza last Christmas, and never recovered from it. He legs , too, had been a source of trouble for some  vears..His wife has pre-deceased him some years ago.

He was a great caver, and a noted character amongst the caving fraternity of the 30's. His enthusiasm and drive made him a real pioneer ~ a number of his discoveries opening up fresh ways on in some of the known caves - not only on Mendip, but in South Wales and the Pennines.

Founder Member
When the British Speleological Association was founded prior to the last war Gerard Platten, Wyndham Harris and Leo Palmer of the M.N.R.C. were elected officials of the Association . He was later elected a Life Member.

Gerard also had a hand with the Wessex Cave Club of which he was also an Honorary member, in the formation in 19^6 of the South Wales Caving Club, He had already explored a number of South Wales caves including Dan- yr-Ogof in 1937.  His discoveries (with others) beyond the lakes opened up the way for the lately discovered beautiful extensions. He was instrumental in urging the opening up of the very popular 'Show'  cave section. Last summer he was thrilled to be taken round Dan-yr-Ogof once more, by Alan Coase and given the 'freedom of the cave' by the present proprietors.

Generosity

His generosity to the M.N.R.C. has shown; itself in several ways. Most members know that :in; collaboration with Herbert Balch our late 'perrenial' Chairman, at Wells Museum, he set up a 'Gerard Platten Bequest Library' in order that our members could share his great interest in caving literature. He had a literary turn of mind and possessed a library of several hundred volumes in a wide variety of subjects. Among them, on his shelves, reposed the leather bound diaries of his caving exploits. - a very valuable source of caving history.

Every year since the war, he has added a number of volumes to his library at Fells Museum - some costly modern volumes being contributed even in his last illness. In the past few years the cost of these valuable books must have been in the region of several hundred pounds. By a legacy in his Will, subject to Probate, his Bequest Library now becomes the property of the M.N.R.C. together with his own private library at his home at New Milton. All the printing apparatus and accessories used in the production of his 'British Caver' is also left to the M.N.R.C.

His great interest in the M.N.R.C. was also shown by a gift of ?100 to help in the establishment of our M.N.R.S. - including the laboratory which was named after him.

The M. N.R.C. has lost a good friend.

Gerard Platten and the Early days of the British Caver.

I do not know when I first met Gerard, but it was sometime in 1935 or 1936, during his then frequent visits to Mendip. He arranged to meet some of my companions and myself at the 'Castle of Comfort' to take us to Baker's Cave. The preliminaries at the 'Castle of Comfort' took some time so it was completely dark when we reached the site. Gerard turned over one /boulder after another, convinced that the cave was concealed under one of them. The cave was finally found with the usual Platten persistance, and we had an enjoyable trip in spite of the late hour.

From that time; I saw Gerard, a great deal. In 1936 he became Vice President of the Mendip Exploration Society which had been formed in 1935 , and of which I had been, a founder member. When Gerard was made Vice President., the Society boasted a membership of 44. It was a memorable year for the Society for the subscription was raised from l/~d. to 5/~d. 1937 was a memorable year for many future cavers on Mendip and elsewhere for Gerard became Editor for the Society and produced Volume 1 of the 'Journal of the Mendip Exploration Society' , which was subsequently to become ?The British Caver?. The first volume was duplicated on Gerard's favourite green paper. It was about this time, the Regional Water Survey Somerset was introduced to trace the course of underground streams for the' Ministry of Health. The Mendip Nature Research Committee, the Bristol University Speleological Society, the Wessex Cave Club, the Mendip Exploration Society and Gerard took over defined areas of Mendip for this purpose. Gerard always like to be independent and had taken over his own area, but worked in conjunction on the project with the Mendip Exploration Society,' who undertook to hold a watching brief over his area in East Mendip during his many absences from the district. Such projects as swallet digging, particularly at Thrupe were carried out as joint efforts between his team and the Mendip Exploration Society.

It was decided to change over to print for the second (1937-8) and subsequent issues of the ?Journal? and Gerard purchased a printing machine which we were able to acquire for him. He was so keen to get on with the printing that he could not wait for the machine to be, dispatched and it took four of us to get it down three flights of stairs to a waiting car which sank, visibly under the weight. We were told that when he arrived at New Milton, he dragged it single handed to his ?printing shop' - an almost unbelievable featfor, although he did not look a tower of strength, his persistence and strength could be considerable on occasions. I was once hauled by him single handed in a bowline about 20 ft. up a rock face in Lamb Leer during a Conference of the British Speleological Association.

I was pulled up so fast that I had no time to look for hand or foot holds.

The production of Part II of the Journal proceeded subject to certain faults in printing which were rectified by a series of cryptic postcards, those from Gerard being written in green ink. containing such questions as 'the type is blocked - what do I do?'.

Another minor hitch was when he inserted an extract from 'Cave:Hunting' without the publishers' permission and publication was held up as a result of consultation with the publishers and the printing of a number of acknowledgement slips which had to be pasted in each volume.

In 1937 the Mendip Exploration Society was invited with other clubs by Gerard to take part in the exploration of Dan yr Ogof Caves. In 1935, Mr. Roberts, of the Yorkshire Ramblers' Club, of which Gerard was a member, had been asked to explore the caves which had originally been discovered in 1912, and following his visit; further exploration was initiated by Gerard , with great enthusiasm. Needless to say,

Volume III (1938) contained not only accounts of Dan yr Ogof, but various Welsh Caves, as the Mendip Exploration Society, by that time, had formed its Welsh Branch. The Branch consisted of 15 members, while the Mendip Exploration parent Society had 62 in fact a number of the leading members of the Mendip Exploration Society spent much time in the Swansea and Neath Valleys. ;

Gerard also drew the Society's attention to the Bone Caves above Dan yr Ogof and a, start was made on the excavation of these, in conjunction with the National Museum of Wales. Volume III also saw a change in type, Gerard having purchased new fonts of larger and italic type which was easier to keep clean.

By the following year, and the issue of Volume IV Gerard had formed his own Dragon Group, a hand picked group of stalwarts, including veterans of the M.E.S. and the Journal now contained references to the activities of both organisations.

In spite of the War, work at Ogof yr Esgyrn and elsewhere in the area was continued on a limited scale by Society members who were still in the district, but Gerard still found sufficient material to produce volume V and to continue his publications, without a break during the War period and was himself able to make some visits to the Principality.

In Volume VI the name 'The British Caver', appeared on the frontispiece for the first time (1940). although it was still described on the cover as the Journal of the Mendip Exploration Society. This volume had somewhat superior plates including a fine multicoloured photograph of the Cango Caves.

Volume VII contained a description of a new Mendip discovery by the Dragon Group in which Gerard must have had second thoughts as he carefully blocked out all possible references to its location, but whether to deceive the national or local enemies it is not known.

Volumes VIII and IX followed the same pattern as the previous copies but in Volume X the ink was changed to blue, no doubt to match the cover, but it was short lived as number XI reverted to black script. Volume XII (1944) contained an index covering that and all the previous volumes, which in itself must have been a stupendous task.

Volume XIV (1946) contained the last reference to the Mendip Exploration Society as at Easter that year, a meeting was organised by the Welsh Branch of the Mendip Exploration Society, whereby the parent society, which had been inactive on Mendip for some time, was wound up and it was decided to change the name of the Welsh Branch of the Mendip Exploration Society to the South Wales Caving Club, which of course, continued the activities of the former branch, both in respect of exploration and the two archaeological activities, namely the excavations at Ogof yr Esgyrn and the joint excavation with Jim Rutter at Minchin Hole, Gower. In August the South Wales Caving Club was presented with its first Headquarters at Pen y Bont.

The Mendip Exploration Society, having changed its name to the South Wales Caving Club, decided to form an additional body, known as the Cave Association of Wales, to co-ordinate the activities of the various clubs operating in South Wales, but it was short lived.

Arthur Hill writes in the South Wales Caving Club Newsletter.
Gerard will be known to the majority of cavers only by name and for the monumental work which he performed in producing 'The British Caver? his bi-annual publication of news of caves and caving not only in Britain, but throughout the world.

Despite periods of poor health this remained his life's major work and he never failed to make publication date. Sometimes he had to seek some assistance with printing and binding for every edition was produced throughout at his home at Rotherfield' in New Milton.

If he made any profit at all from the sale it was no compensation for the devoted hours he spent every evening in his den at home. He had caving contacts in numerous countries and with most British caving clubs, as well as arrangements with Press agencies. Of necessity he was a prolific correspondent, renowned for his brief postcards.
Those of us who knew Gerard and caved with him will now cherish our many memories of him more dearly.

He was a personality, a character, he possessed a boyish humour throughout his life, and tales of his caving 'escapades? were told years after he had retired from more active participation. He was sincere, enthusiastic and generous. He placed small personal value on things and would lend anything that would be of use to a trusted fellow caver - lantern slides for lectures, large scale maps, books or anything. He had a very large library of caving and reference books. For years his large volumes entitled ;Cave Notes? were sent around the caving fraternity on a postal circuit basis. These books were in themselves most comprehensive and the results of many hours diligent activity.
In South Wales Gerard played an important part in pioneering the area. In 1937 he took over from the renowned E. E. Roberts (Yorkshire Ramblers Club) preliminary explorations of Dan yr Ogof for the owners - the Morgan Brothers. He started the 'Dragon Group' composed of picked teams of cavers of all clubs or no club to further explorations in Wales. There was no committee,, only the organising hand of Gerard.

The idea worked well and most of the then known caves were visited and in Dan yr Ogof a limit was reached which remained unchanged for 25 years.

From the WCC Jl ?

Below is a list of the Platten "Scrapbooks" some are missing but the majority are held by Wells and Mendip Museum -

Platten Scrapbooks Locations

Volume Location Pages
1 Jenny Potts 1 to 449
2M Wells & Mendip Museum 450 to 727
3M Wells & Mendip Museum 727 to 1008
4M Wells & Mendip Museum 1019 to 1287
4A MISSING Listed in Vol 4 Index Pages 1300 to 1360
5M Wells & Mendip Museum 1360 to 1569
6 MISSING
7M Wells & Mendip Museum 1724 to 1912
8M Wells & Mendip Museum 1908 to 2074
9M Wells & Mendip Museum 2080 to 3415 #
10M Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
10AM Wells & Mendip Museum Index Volumes 1 to 10
11M Wells & Mendip Museum 3596 to 3746
12 To be donated ? BCRA pursuing
13 MISSING
14M Wells & Mendip Museum 4200 to 4319
15M Wells & Mendip Museum 4320 to 4482
16 MISSING
17M Wells & Mendip Museum 4747 to 4827
18M Wells & Mendip Museum 4935 to 5179
19 MISSING
20 To be donated ? BCRA pursuing
21B Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
22 MISSING
23B Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
24 MISSING
25B Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
26B Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
27 To be donated ? BCRA pursuing
28M Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
29M Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
30B Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
31 MISSING
32B Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
33 MISSING
34B Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
35 MISSING
36M Wells & Mendip Museum Not Numbered
37 MISSING
38 MISSING

Cover Colour M = Maroon, B = Black

All binders quarto except Volume 28 which is foolscap

# - Incorrect page numbering starts at 2080 to 2350 then jumps to 3351 to 3415

langcliffe

axbridgecaver said:
Dave Irwin produced and Index to these "Scrapbooks". I have photographed the index which should be uploaded to the MCRA web site in the "near future". Below are the introduction pages of Dave's index. -

Excellent - only this morning I had emailed the archivist at Wells Museum asking for a copy of this. Any chance of emailing me a copy in case she doesn't come up with the good?

Jenny P

Volume 1 of his Record Books is currently at the British Caving Library and I am arranging to deliver it to Wells Museum and Library.  It will be there as soon as I can arrange to hand it over directly to the Librarian there because I don't want it to go AWOL again!  Stuart is away for a month so I'll deliver it personally on 4th. June.

The location of  nos. 12, 20 and 27 is also known and the person who has them had said a couple of years ago that he would deliver them to Wells Museum himself.  This clearly hasn't happened yet so this will be chased up.

Worth noting that nos. 1, 12 and 20 were "donated" to the British Caving Library by someone who had found them in his attic and didn't know what they were!  No. 27 appeared subsequently when it was made known that we had the other three.  It does seem that Platten had lent some of his Record Books to various people and then either he or they had forgotten about them.  There must be more forgotten in someone's attic or loft somewhere so it would be great if the rest of them turned up and were re-united at Wells Museum.

langcliffe

My sincerest thanks to everybody that has helped on this query. The following web page now includes our state of knowledge about Gerard Platten's 'scrapbooks', and their indices:

http://caving-library.org.uk/collections/gerardplatten.shtml

Gerard used to pass around his scrapbooks, so it is still possible that some of the missing ones will reappear. He bequeathed his caving collection to the Wells and Mendip Museum, so any that do reappear will be deposited there.

The only one currently online is Volume 20, which is on the Dan Yr Ogof Conservation Advisory Website:

http://dyo.org.uk/gerard-platten-logbook.html

Volume XVII was also scanned, but has yet to find a home on the web.

Alan Gray took a scan from those currently held by the Wells and Mendip Museum, and some of these are available on the MCRA website.

rhychydwr1

langcliffe said:
axbridgecaver said:
Dave Irwin produced and Index to these "Scrapbooks". I have photographed the index which should be uploaded to the MCRA web site in the "near future". Below are the introduction pages of Dave's index. -

Excellent - only this morning I had emailed the archivist at Wells Museum asking for a copy of this. Any chance of emailing me a copy in case she doesn't come up with the good?

I can flog you a copy.  ?85 postfree.

Jenny P

The missing Volume 1 of Platten's Scrapbooks is now safely at Wells Museum.  Many thanks to 'Axbridgecaver' who collected it from me last Sunday when I took it down to Mendip and who has already taken it to it's rightful home at Wells Museum.

We hope that before too long another 3 of the missing volumes will be returned with the help of the person we know has them.

'Langcliffe' has done a sterling job in putting a great deal of Platten material on the BCRA Archives website, which is part of the British Caving Library website, and we're grateful to 'Axbridgecaver' for his help with this project.

Just hope that searches of attics find the remainder of the missing volumes - if you have any elderly relatives who were cavers it could be worth checking as so many cavers were lent Platten's precious log books and may have forgotten to return them.

mikem

Interestingly some of the scrapbooks listed in Dave Irwin's index are no longer at the Museum & at least one that is in the Museum is not in the index (this was before Vol 1 returned). Also some maps that were filed with the scrapbooks are also missing. Unfortunately I haven't got my copy of the list to hand.

Mike

langcliffe

mikem said:
Interestingly some of the scrapbooks listed in Dave Irwin's index are no longer at the Museum & at least one that is in the Museum is not in the index (this was before Vol 1 returned).

Some specific information would be useful.

mikem

Can't find my original notes, but comparing the index to Axbridgecaver's list above, volume 31 was indexed but is not now with the rest of the scrapbooks (this is the only foolscap size one, so I'm wondering if it is buried amongst other documents somewhere in the Museum, rather than having disappeared). Volume 28 is at the Museum but not in the index.

Dave Irwin says there are 21 volumes at the start of the index: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 21, 22, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34 & 36 (this is only 20, so he may have included 10A - the index to volumes 1 to 10, although he didn't use that index to include volumes 1 & 6 in his own, so may be not). Or he may have just missed one, as the index also includes 18, 23, 25 & 26, some of which he must have found after writing the introduction. The anomaly is 22, which does not actually appear in the index, so my guess is that it is a misprint & Dave actually meant volume 23.

Dave also produced a 1994 index which I will check later to see if there are any differences from the 1989 version apart from the font!

Mike

langcliffe

Thanks for that Mike. I've been through the index and agree with your findings.

If you found Volume 28 at the museum, did you make a list of what other volumes you found?

mikem

Volume 28 is in Alan's list above (your list on BCA website assumes it is in the index). The scrapbooks are all kept in one display case, so I haven't seen any that aren't on the above list.

The late 1993 index says it was compiled in 1989, so is the same.

Mike

Jenny P

The three missing ones which should be coming back shortly are nos. 12, 20 and 27 (or XII, XX and XXVII).  We know where they are and it's just been a question of getting them to Wells from some distance away.

The index Platten put in Volume 1 indicates that he, himself, changed his mind about the numbering of the volumes as he lists, in typescript, nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (crossed out in ink and changed to handwritten 4a) and then handwritten V (i.e. Roman numerals this time) again. 

He also gives the page numbers which should be in each volume - so Vol. 1 should be 1 - 449 but isn't, it stops at (I think) 437.  Vol. 5 should be 1361 - 1569 (or possibly 1579 - the 6 and 7 are overwritten.) 

I have scanned the first part of Vol. 1 to the end of the index section and, apart from the first 11 sides of pasted in photos, etc. the next 43 pages are an index to the page numbers of items in later volumes.  It doesn't give the actual volume numbers, just the page numbers, and the index is not in alphabetical order.  Eg. the last page starts with typescript "YUCATAN% [sic] 752" and ends with handwritten "Flamborough C. S. 1628".

The other delight is that it's partly typescript and partly handwritten mixed together:  the typescript is often in red but may be black;  the handwriting uses red, green, blue and black ink - sometimes all in one word!

Vol. 1 may hold clues to what is in some of the missing volumes because some of the page numbers in the index go beyond the 1569 of Vol. 5.  However, I suspect it will need a cryptanalyst to sort it all - it's an absolute puzzler's delight.