Outlook - the illegitimates

rhychydwr1

Outlook have moved the goal post again  :eek:  They have blocked lists.  It means I can no longer send out my caving book lists.  As I cannot be bothered to send out to individuals on my lists one at a time, and I dare not put my list on here  :eek:

You will need to email me and ask for a list. 

The latest one is September 2. 

What is my email?  You just google

tony oldham caver

yucky:

royfellows

rhychydwr1 said:
Microsoft Office Outlook formally known as Hotmail.

Microsoft Office Outlook is a retail packed email client software, which you install on your computer, either stand alone or network workstation, and which can 'front' for Microsoft Exchange Server if you so wish. This is what I use.

Hotmail was an email service offered through the MS website, so now they are calling that "Outlook"?

My advice is to dump the 'service' and register an email address of your own through a server such as www.easily.co.uk, they offer email hosting as a seperate service to website hosting so not paying for something you not need.

You would then need to use client software on your machine.

Windows includes Microsoft Mail, formally called "Outlook Express". Office Outlook, the retail package is better.
You might get an early copy of eBay, unscrupulous people use pirate versions, a dastardly practice as they often give illicit copies to their friends.
;)

pwhole

I would certainly second paying for your own email addresses via a hosting company. The amount of hassle Hotmail and Yahoo users wreak on our club email system far outweighs any possible 'savings' from the free service. I use a US company for webhosting and email, and have gigabytes of storage and unlimited email addresses for the princely sum of around ?6 per month. Sometimes it's even cheaper, depending on the exchange rate. And yes, I use MS Outlook as the front-end, and download all my emails to my local machine.

royfellows

Bob Mehew said:
Once you have changed your email service provider, you could also consider changing the software on your own PC.  Not that I have used it (I am still considering it) but Thunderbird, see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ is certainly worth a look.

Hi Bob

You got me thinking

A lot of service providers offer a free email as part of their service, Tony may have this already, he only needs to stop using Hotmail or whatever its calling itself these days.
Problem is the provided address is usually something rubishy such as some number.talktalk or whatever.

To have something 'sexy' he would have to register a domain, and guess what, tonyoldham.co.uk is free and available for 2 years for ?10.99 plus VAT

Reading this Tony

royfellows

Easily:
?9.99 a year
20MB Mailspace
2MB Attachment Size
Calendar, contacts, tasks, notes info manager

EDIT
So you would be in for the above plus the VAT and your domain renewal every two years. You can go annual on that, but I find 2 years is best value.

MORE EDIT

I have royfellows.uk as everyone knows and some people think I must be someone important to have that
:LOL:

A bit more
easily are great but sell web hosting as a bit of a "sell" if you follow, a cheap beginner package for ?25 on a Linux server, or a "professional One" for a lot more. Obviously the professional is better, you get what you etc. Total ball cocks
Only difference is webspace, my ledcaplamps uses the beginner and only occupies less than 10% at a guess of the space available.

OK, ducks and dives

Get a cheap copy of the now 'obsolete' MS Frontpage, or pirate disk copy, do you web on it, and then use the free MS Expression Web to upload it to a cheap Linux server.
MS will tell you it wont work.
More ball cocks
Check out my webs

rhychydwr1

royfellows said:
Bob Mehew said:
[snip]

To have something 'sexy' he would have to register a domain, and guess what, tonyoldham.co.uk is free and available for 2 years for ?10.99 plus VAT

Reading this Tony

?10.99 +VAT does not sound like free.

I need to change my email.  Too many Russian girls wantto marry me.  Cost me a fortune.  :eek:

aricooperdavis

Bob Mehew said:
Once you have changed your email service provider, you could also consider changing the software on your own PC.  Not that I have used it (I am still considering it) but Thunderbird, see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ is certainly worth a look.

I would highly recommend Thunderbird and have been using it for about 7 years. If there's something that I want it to do it can do it, or else someone has written a plugin that can do it instead. Truly excellent piece of software.

al

I've been using Thunderbird for years - no problem.

My biggest complaint about Outlook is its bespoke file-system for emails. Very difficult to transfer old PST files to non-Outlook clients.

2xw

Is there any reason you need software on your PC?

All sounds a bit complicated, what's wrong with using google mail?

It's free, you can create group lists with it for mass emails etc etc

Maximum email size is 25MB unless you use google drive in which case it is 10GB

pwhole

For me it's partly security - I prefer having my emails on my machine, where I can decide whether to keep them or not. I don't like the idea of being locked out of an account for some technical reason (it happens plenty already) with all sorts of my private stuff on a remote server. I fundamentally don't trust cloud storage as a concept.

Last year I was being pestered relentlessly by 'a major software company' to upgrade my CD-based product license to a cloud-only version, with monthly subscription  as 'the new payments model'. They also suggested I store my business files on their cloud storage for 'easier access'. Not long after that I received a printed letter from the above company saying that their user-base system had been hacked, and that my personal and credit card details may have been stolen. No offer of help to find out, or any recompense, but they just suggested I keep an eye on my transaction history to watch out for anything untoward, and then, presumably, sort it out myself, even though it was their screw-up.

I never heard back from them again (by letter), but the next week I got another email suggesting I sign up for the cloud storage system. Needless to say it was marked as 'Junk'.