Lancaster Hole, Yorkshire - Dec 16

rich_p

Another cold and misty morning in Yorkshire, Max420 and I walked across the fell from Bull Pot Farm and arrived at the lid for Lancaster Hole. Max rigged and I dropped down the shaft while he chatted to someone who had arrived on the surface. Turned out the gent was over 70, happy to give out rigging advice and was coming down the shaft next to spend some time in the cave, as he had been doing for decades.

31459248812_6247b94964_c.jpg

At the bottom were two main directions to choose from, we had decided to just explore and see where we ended up so headed up the smaller of two passages which shrank down to a crawl. This lead to the splendidly decorated Slug World. We went past straws, ribbons, helictites, a large calcite boss and through another crawl to an end chamber where yet more pretties were to be found.

31459251662_5c3de332d8_c.jpg

31349443700_46b05a3f1b_c.jpg

30796280513_dc7169e553_c.jpg

31568777116_efb422bde5_c.jpg

After a good old play with the cameras it was back past the entrance pitch and through the bigger passage to emerge at the top of a boulder pile in Bridge Cavern.

31568780276_64f7233b17_c.jpg

We spent a while poking about the numerous passages leading off and ended up at the Colonnades. Somehow time was nearly up by this point so it was back to the entrance shaft to prusik out. There we were joined by a couple of nice fellas from Red Rose on their way out from a long day deeper in the system.

Eager to see more we were soon back again with the intention of reaching the master cave. This time it was straight to Kath's Way with it's scaf bar holding the entrance open and we tried to apply the vaguely remembered directions. This didn't go precisely as planned (much crawling, possibly the beginning of The Girder Route) but we made it to a big rift. A short scramble down the boulders lead to the top of a pitch which appeared to drop down to the master cave. We hadn't brought rope for any more srt so climbed back up to the other side of the rift into a large passage.

30912892743_8a1c4cdb34_c.jpg

At the end was a large piece of rock with a cavernous space beyond. After shuffling to the edge and peering into the gloom we decided this was definitely Fall Pot. A dual handline dropped down a side rift and took us to the bottom. A glint of water could be made out at the bottom of several different pitches that had to be the master cave. I took the opportunity to get the camera out while Max scouted out a way down.

31722875255_839b69af6a_c.jpg

31349436290_3602379425_c.jpg

He found the hole in the bolder pile near the waterfall but it looked a bit dicey. We didn?t know at the time it was free climbable, nor that the borders can be lose due to the flooding that takes place there.

After all the excitement of not getting to Main Drain we decided to go up to the Colonnades to get some shots.

31349455750_8dcde51ccf_c.jpg

31607114701_2fe3e63543_c.jpg

31349442820_f41d66ed6f_c.jpg

Plenty of the chamber was out of bounds, however on one bank not taped off were a series of muddy holes. I happened to notice one was different, closer inspection revealed it was a small gour pool filled with tiny crystals, blink and you miss it.

31685162086_101e1ba887_c.jpg

31722855465_227ef6c42d_c.jpg

31685157326_938fb4019c_c.jpg

A few hours later we climbed out the shaft into a clear night and were treated to an impressive spread of stars. Off home to study the survey again and figure out a bit more, no doubt we?ll be returning again soon.

31349439040_a4c8d8a12b_c.jpg

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Impressive photos of this great cave.  It's sometimes much more fun finding your own way about than being led.  (y)

Inferus

Good stuff, have to agree with Badlad, finding your own way around is far better- always preferred that method and learnt my way so much quicker.

Sorry to nitpick but Lancaster Hole is in Cumbria not Yorkshire, although it does fall in the revised boundary of the Yorkshire Dales national park, minor details perhaps but still  :confused:

PeteHall

Another vote for learning your own way. Much ore fun and you'll learn a lot more of the system that way  (y)

The great thing with Ease gill is that you can do so many different trips from/ to so many entrances, you'll soon find overlaps in your knowledge and one day you'll realise you know your way around most of the system.

rich_p

I like the feeling you're actually exploring something, bar getting your digging gloves on for something genuinely new, finding your own way isn't a bad compromise.

And thanks Inferus, it being the Three Counties System should have given me the cue to check.

alastairgott

Pitlamp said:
Superb images - lousy geography. ("Yorkshire"?!  ;) )

Don't worry, he always loves this one. Pitlamp got me with it 11months ago before our very wintery snowbound trip to BPF.

Excellent report though. I think I need a better light or more time in Yorkshire, as I've never seen the scalloping on the walls in your photo.

Pitlamp

Sorry Al - just couldn't resist!

But, really, a very good write up by rich_p; well done.  (y)

JasonC

PeteHall said:
The great thing with Ease gill is that you can do so many different trips from/ to so many entrances, you'll soon find overlaps in your knowledge and one day you'll realise you know your way around most of the system.

Haha... one day, indeed.  I still find myself well capable of losing my way despite many visits...

But great photos though - nice to see familiar (to many) locations given the full photographic skill and attention they deserve  (y)

rich_p

It was raining quite a bit and after a miserable walk Max and I came to the familiar entrance. There were a couple of groups going down, the first rigged and disappeared and the next was a nice group of fellas who kindly offered to let the two of us rig and go down before them. Thanks to them.

A short walk and we came to the passage and small pitch to our destination for the day, The Graveyard.

32593395675_6e34777ff5_c.jpg

31781425943_57c257900e_c.jpg

The main chamber was impressive with formations everywhere, though on closer look a quite a few were damaged.

We left the bags behind and pushed through to a lower chamber which was also adorned with many pretties. There seemed to be plenty of interesting routes to explore. We ended up going down a narrow rift passage, a high route over a bolder led to a small passage. A stream way could be heard just below a blind drop however it looked pretty tight and not knowing if there was a way back up we retreated.

After taking photos Max opened up the conservation box and had a go at stalagmite cleaning. I couldn't help but have a go on a big one ::)

32440527582_34a301ba08_c.jpg