Help with iMac

Fulk

Is there anybody who can help with the following problems on my iMac, which I?ve just had upgraded to OS Sierra 10.12.4?

Before it was upgraded, if I opened a folder (say, Folder B) in another folder (Folder A), then when I closed B, A was still open. Also, if there were two or more folders in Folder A (B & C), then I could open both folders B & C (and, indeed, any others that happened to be there in A), and happily move files (and folders) around between folders as desired.

But now, when I close Folder B everything shuts down and I find myself back on the desktop.

Can anyone tell me how to go back to my previous system?

The other (minor) problem is that previously, I could resize files and folders as I saw fit, but now if I resize one, they all change in size (I?m talking now about the apparent on-screen size of icons, not the actual size of files / folders in bytes); can anyone help with this?

nickwilliams

When you close the folder and get taken back to the Desktop, do you momentarily loose any icons for items which are on the Desktop?

If so then it sounds like your Finder is quitting itself unexpectedly (and automatically re-starting) which would imply a corrupt upgrade installation.

I'd be inclined to make sure you have a comprehensive backup of anything that matters before investigating too much further.

I'm also running 10.12.4 and I do not get the behaviour you describe so its not a 'feature'.

ZombieCake

Hi,
My weapon of choice is a 'mid-2012 MacBook Pro i5' with 16GB RAM and I'm still on Mavericks 10.9.5 as that's what it came with (plus successive updates) when I bought it a couple of years back.  I've also replaced the HDD as the 500MB one it came with ran out of space (very easy with a Time Machine back up).  I've heard various stories that moving away from the OS version it came with can cause issues with wi-fi etc. so stuck with it and it works fine for me. Was your upgrade from an earlier OS version and part from issues mentioned in the post are there any other issues?  Air drop does looks attractive, but not if it screws up other things.

Fulk

Thanks for your comments, Nick and Zombie.

When you close the folder and get taken back to the Desktop, do you momentarily loose any icons for items which are on the Desktop?

No.

If so then it sounds like your Finder is quitting itself unexpectedly (and automatically re-starting) which would imply a corrupt upgrade installation.

Our internet connection is crap (very slow), so I took my computer to a local expert who has been dealing with Macs for years, and he downloaded the update for me.

According to one of the sites mentioned by Alastair, under Finder Preferences there should be a tick-box ?Always open folders in a new window?, but this option is not available on my computer. As far as I can tell there?s no way round this, apart from the option of pressing ?command? before double-clicking a folder?s icon. This seems to work most of the time, but it doesn?t work for my back-up hard drive ? I can?t have the back-up open at the same time as any folder on the desktop. So when I want to back up stuff, I have to drag it out of its home folder onto the desktop, then copy it to the back-up, then drag the file or folder or whatever back to its home.

Fulk

Thanks for that suggestion, Tony; it works, but only for folders within folders, not those on the desktop ? so I still can't have the back-up folder open at the same time as another on (as the back-up's icon is on the desktop).

Alastair: Yes, the spring-loaded folder thingy seems to work! It means that I don't have to have the back-up drive open, I just drag items to be backed up onto it, and it 'springs open'.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.  :)