Author Topic: Chest Ascender - time for a new one  (Read 765 times)

Offline Roperat

Chest Ascender - time for a new one
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:40 am »
Hi All,

With the newer model Croll not getting rave reviews i thought i'd pose the question to see what others are using.
My current Croll is having a few issues and it's time for a change. (if anyone is interested, the issue is that the rope isn't feeding down through it anymore, losing efficiency)

What are people using and recommending instead of the Croll, or better still what have people replaced their Croll with, and what are the results?

Offline Dave Tyson

• addict
  • WCG
    • Wirral Caving Group
Re: Chest Ascender - time for a new one
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:51:53 am »
Climbing Technology (CT) evo jammer.  about £42.

Very similar size to old petzl, does the job

Dave

Offline cavemanmike

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:26:28 am »
Camp turbo everytime  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Oceanrower

• menacing presence
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 02:09:28 pm »
I've got a Camp Goblin.

No, I know it's not a chest ascender, it's an ascender cum back up device but, ... .

I just like saying I've got a Camp Goblin!

:lol:

Offline Roperat

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:49 am »
Camp turbo everytime  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Really? CAMP turbo? Those things look too clunky and over engineered to me? Is that not the case?

Offline NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • obsessive maniac
  • www.dddwhcc.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 06:36:11 am »
I love my Turbochest. It's tiny, smaller than the new Croll. Clunky it is not. I find it easier to ascend with. How much of that is to do with the roller, and how much is the change in the angle the rope runs at, is anyone's guess.

I got rid of 2 almost new "old" crolls with years of life, once I had a go with it. I liked it that much.
Deep Dark Dirty Wet Holes - The Right honourable Lock Persuader in Chief.

Offline cavemanmike

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 08:09:17 am »
I've never used the new petzl crol but didn't like the reviews it was getting so opted for the camp turbo and never had a problem with it.
To be fair I did like my old petzl crol but I wore it out and couldn't find another one

Offline tamarmole

• menacing presence
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 08:12:48 am »
Another vote for the Camp turbo.  I particularly like the fact that it allows the rope to run freely at the bottom of a pitch.

Offline Roperat

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 08:22:25 am »
How about their use in rescue situations? Are they able to get a biner in their chest loop point?

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, BBPC
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 08:55:41 am »
+1 for the Turbo Chest. I've just replaced my first one after about 2.5 years of fairly heavy use.

Offline Mike Hopley

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:30 am »
How about their use in rescue situations? Are they able to get a biner in their chest loop point?

Good question. Yes, you can clip into the top hole for rescue.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 12:08:53 pm »
I've only used my Turbo twice so far, but I do like it. I noticed the rope doesn't always sit on the rollers immediately, but I think that's as much me needing to adjust my technique for the device. But very smooth ascents, and the cam opens easily too, which is nice. I have bought another Croll for 'sacrificial' use, as a grotty job I was on recently totally trashed my CT ascender, but ironically didn't get to do another rope-trip there, so it never got used. But if I'm on filthy nasty trips I'll use that, and keep the Turbo for 'regular' use.

Offline Roperat

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:13 pm »
Hmmmm maybe I'm sold on trying one out..... any negatives of them? How flimsy are the rollers and the attachment point of the rollers? Are they easily bent inwards, etc? I have a habit of wearing my harness through squeezes..... (I know what you'll say, take it off) but I tend to give my gear a bit of a hiding.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline David Rose

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 10:45:19 pm »
I like the CT ascender. It's very easy to open it at a rebelay, and the rope runs through smoothly. It never - and I mean never - slips. The CT footloop ascender is good, too. It inspires confidence.

Offline Roperat

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 11:29:24 pm »
I like the CT ascender. It's very easy to open it at a rebelay, and the rope runs through smoothly. It never - and I mean never - slips. The CT footloop ascender is good, too. It inspires confidence.
Thanks david. I've been using one of them at work, but when on more horizontal than vertical rebelays I've had them pop off. Not that we should really end up on horizontal, but it can happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk