Rhino Rift - Worthy of Caution!

Gerbil007

After two fandangly days of doing a little knitting in Rhino rift, Cap'n Chris had noticed one or two particularly gnarly looking slabs of hanging death. On closer investigation, they weren't so much hanging as levitating, but were certainly deadly.
Being the all round good eggs that we are, we set about a little light gardening...

Gardening with Rhinos.wmv

So that'll be me super aware of what's above me from now on then!  :eek: :eek:

Cheers Cap'n! (Top vid by the way.)

owd git

Great  vid . But why does everyone put un-necessary music over the sound of caving?i don't cave to hear music.
sorry... great vid. (y)
(Grumpy) Owd Git.
(I love, and play music. however the' spaces' between notes make music!! i go below to enjoy 'other things'.)
Shitt! that sounds grumpy and miss- spelt :LOL:

cap n chris

The music seemed to enhance the viewing experience, im(h)o, but your comment(s) duly noted. Happy to oblige with non-background-music footage in the future but for the meanwhile today's short piece of footage has been edited and uploaded and I CBA to re-do it.

Perhaps you might just want to watch it with the sound turned down/muted. Use small rocks, headphones and a reverb box to make your own background noises.

Les W

Rhino has always been known for loose rocks, in fact I think the only solid rock in there is held together by resin anchors.  :-\

graham

Les W said:
Rhino has always been known for loose rocks, in fact I think the only solid rock in there is held together by resin anchors.  :-\

I remember being hit on the shoulder by a loose rock (not a big one) whilst climbing the second pitch on ladder back in 1972. Looks like it's still not safe to go back.  :-\

Elaine

Are there any ledges left? Or is it now one big pitch. (with a mound of rocks at the bottom).

slippery_matt

Best close the cave to be safe still, eh?  ;)

Granted, looks like some of them rocks were loose, but how many people would have touched that first block that took a kicking to remove?  Or that far side wall on the 2nd pitch for that matter?

Cookie

Matt J said:
Granted, looks like some of them rocks were loose, but how many people would have touched that first block that took a kicking to remove?  Or that far side wall on the 2nd pitch for that matter?

Good questions.  (y)

Once you start, where do you stop?

It'll be like Cheddar Gorge which is "gardened" every off-session. That'll probably not stop until it is graded back to a gentle slope.

caving_fox

How many bolts/hangers did you take out with rocks though?

Looks a fun cave, must get around to doing it someday.

mrodoc

whitelackington said:
mrodoc said:
Won't the diggers at bottom be a bit unhappy?
Is the bottom of Rhino Rift still an active dig mrodoc,
I have been told Rhino is directly above Charterhouse Cave.
So I hear but whether it's being actively dug I don't know. Obviously worth digging.

Roger W

These Mendip guys today will do anything to try to enlarge the minuscule cavities they have there that pass for caves...    ;)