Custom Duo - review

Stu

After some asking around, looking at the various light sets on the market and discounting a self build I bought the upgrade for the Petzl Duo from Custom Shop (Biff's site). I'm in no way connected to Biff other than that of a customer. These are my thoughts on just one of the many alternatives out there. It struck me that it might be hard to convey any sort of impartiality; after all I bought it, it wasn't a freebie and people are sometimes loathe to admit something isn't quite right when they've shelled out. On the other hand it would have gone back if I wasn't happy; it hasn't. OK, to business.

In the last five or six years I've had two Petzl Duos; the first was a headband, five LED and (poor) spot that had been used as a short caving trip alternative to my Oldham/FX3 and as a general head torch for mountaineering. This was left/pinched about four years ago. I invested in the caving lamp I have now - the 14 LED Duo which was mounted onto a helmet. I remember well people saying how they thought it might not be up to the job; I also had reservations. Well it's stood the test of time on my regular sporting caving trips. At the time there were a few helmet mounted set ups but what I liked about the Petzl was the ability to source batteries pretty much anywhere. Proprietary battery packs are all well and good but they, for me, have some drawbacks.

So, what was it I was after of an upgrade?

I'd discounted a new lamp as a) there was nothing wrong with this one per se and b) I can't afford ?200+. The second point can be elaborated on; I could have spent nearly seven times as much but would it be seven times brighter? Also how much light do you actually need to cave on? Anyway, what I wanted was a relatively cheap upgrade that was an improvement (using modern LED) and not just a like for like swap. The battery issue and the longevity were also key.

What did I opt for and did it do what I required?

Biff has several options in the upgrade market utilising what I'm told are the latest LED's. You can opt for spot lights, flood (side lights) and twin modules. After many well answered emails from Biff I decided upon the cd351-spot  (350mA & 110+ lumens) and cd703-side XPG (flood/side - but with the settings for the cd353,which I requested as I wanted something efficient and of good duration). 

How did they fair?

The first thing you have to do is insert them. It's really nothing more than fiddly and was done with the aid of the instructions on the website. As for underground, I've now had three trips with the light. It was immediately obvious from using the spot that it absolutely blew the old spot away (it was the Petzl 1W LED). The Petzl LED never really got used and was bought because it was better than the halogen. For anyone with a Duo and you're still using the stock bulb and you've thought about  upgrading go straight for the Custom Duo options; they're a tenner more but seriously useful. The spot has a good solid throw with no what I called "hollow" or corona light. One thing you do lose is the focus ability as the lens on the bulb is snug against the glass of the Duo; but as the LED is focused it's job done anyway. It was only after caving for a period that I realised I'd been caving on the spot most of the time. Presumably because it was great having so much light! Biff actually mentions this in his web blurb.

The side bulb I had powered down on request. The original spec. I assume would be blisteringly bright but again one of my priorities was duration off an AA power source. In the email correspondence Biff told me that the returns, in terms of the difference between the 14 LED array and the 703, might be harder to tell. You still get three power settings changed in the usual Duo method of cycling through the switch. The lowest setting on the 703 at 50mA is to my eye weaker than the standard 14 array. It would have limited use (but then so did the 14) probably as a comfort light on a break or a camp light. The second setting 110mA is brighter than the middle 14 array setting but not by much and it was the light I used most often for rigging pitches where the way was known to me or obvious. The top setting 350mA is what this arrangement is all about in my mind. It's definitely brighter and if memory serves, a much better spread.  It was great for getting around the cave with but as mentioned before I'd started to inadvertently use the spot more.

Some conclusions.

The service from Biff was excellent. Emails were answered quickly and attentively. I'd asked for a modification on the flood light and expected a longer wait to receive the package than it actually took (two days from putting in the request). Fitting is simple with no need for anything other than a flat blade screwdriver. As for the lights: the spot is absolutely worth getting as a Duo upgrade. Of course it won't compete with the likes of the Scurion but it's a massive improvement and gives Duo owners a means to breath new life to their headsets if they feel they're getting left behind... or just want more light.

The side/flood is slightly harder to conclude. Biff already acknowledged that the differences are less acute and so they are; though it is possible to get a much more powerful settings option which I didn't want as duration was still a key component of my purchase. The lowest and middle settings are on a par with the original 14 array, the top setting is much brighter. Is it worth it in these settings? Just about for the top setting alone and the longevity you'll get from the lower two settings (though to be fair this also applies to the lower two settings on the 14 array).

Finally...

Impressive kit for the price. Attentive service. Gives new life to an ageing piece of kit. Duo owners with a 1W replacement will be seriously pleased with the spot options it they upgrade. If you are on an old style 5 LED array then skip the 14 LED array and get the cheaper flood options. 14 array owners will notice less of a marked difference and will purchase with efficiency as a main criterion. 

It might be an interesting exercise to do a ?/light output comparison chart  :confused:

skippy

Great revue....thanks.
I've been waiting to read your report of the duo upgrade as i've been toying with the idea of upgrding to the 'spot'

I'll get in touch with Biff and get sorted.

Cheers
Glenn(Skippy)

chasroberts

I've now got 2 Duos running with Biff's LED conversions in place of the standard Petzl bulb and am very impressed with them. Light output v battery life is excellent, especially if you get a good set of  rechargeable batteries. That said, I haven't managed to deplete the batteries to the point where the module drops into unregulated running. My last attempt involved leaving the light running on my desk at home. 12 hours later, it was still running on its middle/optimal setting. The net result is that I hardly ever use the 14 LED array of my Duo now - can't see the point.

I'm also going to rebuild my FX3, whose head-piece internals corroded, with a Pitlamp module. It'll be interesting to see how that works.

Incidentally, I agree with your summary of Biff's service, it is first class.

estelle

I love my custom duo and many who've caved with me recently have been impressed by it. My speleo headlites/batteries, etc. will be on fleabay soon... 

Muddydisco

Could someone point me in the direction of Biffs contact or webpage. I'm looking at getting some lights, now I have rejoined caving after 12 yrs out, and led's were not even around at that point!

Great review :beer: It was the turning point for me deciding to go for the Duo's having looked around the web.

Chitts

I read the review after having already visited Biff at home in his liar. Lightening flashes from the huge antenna on the roof and is channelled into his stal draped cellar. He sits, like Edward Scissorhands at a slate topped work bench wealding curious hand tools pulsing with light and immense primevil power.
I have caved for the last 5 or so years with a Speleo 14 LED lamp driven from a Nova battery pack. Two of the LED's had packed up and a replacement array from Speleo was a rather annoying ?60.
Having heard Estelle raving about the Duo upgrade, i thought i would pop over to Biff and have a chat as he's only 3 miles away.
Biffs upgradesfor the standard "oldham" type cap lamp come in two forms. A permanent flood and spot option with three power settings, or a unit that will switch between spot and flood. The former PL series is the one that Biff sells the most of but the latter ML series is using the same technology, its personal choice at the end of the day.
Being as technically minded as a mollusc I took his advice and opted for the PL XPG which uses the CREE XPG led's as featured in the Scurrion 700 (?350ish retail).

Its like caving with a car headlamp on your forehead if you run at full power. Medium and low are fine for general caving. The low setting is akin to FX3 territory. The medium setting is very close to the high output setting on my mates Sten. Which rather winds him up.
I cannot recommend both the product and the man enough. He creates simple and wonderfully made alloy inserts with the CREE'S sitting happily in the face plate. Fitting them is no more complex than Meccano and the light produced is quite stunning. Add that the power consumption is better than the old speleo array and i have a huge improvement in battery life and light output that (excuse the pun) puts my previous (and my mates Sten) in the shade.
Oh and did I mention that this cost me less than the ?60 Speleo replacement array.

http://customduo.co.uk/custompitlamp.aspx

In the immortal words of some overpaid American marketing executive with too much caffeine in his system  " JUST DO IT"