The new DistoX ???

SamT

Check out http://www.laser-measure.co.uk/leica-disto/leica-disto-dxt.html

dxt-extereme-conditions.jpg

All we need is to prey that there is room in there for Beet to work his magic. (odds on the electronics are very very similar).

TheBitterEnd

I know next to nothing about cave surveying but I was just wondering how much of a chore would it be to have to key the reading from the distance measure into a separate unit? The thinking being that the compass module could be in a separate box with a keypad (strapped to the Disto?), that way the electronics wouldn't have to be fitted inside the Disto?

graham

Two points

Firstly I think Beat has looked at this and doesn't reckon there's much room inside for a second board. Don't know how far he's got.

Secondly, not only is a single unit essential for paperless surveying, but it seems that misclosures are far smaller when all the readings are taken from one instrument.

TheBitterEnd

Thanks for the reply, I was aware of what a DistoX is and it does seem to be the best way to do it  It just seems tied to an expensive, modified Measurement Unit. Laser distance measures can be had for about ?80 upwards, and putting the compass/clino in a separate unit would, I think, allow for a lower cost unit, with the PDA being optional, use whatever distance measure you want (inc tape) etc. The big disadvantage would be the need to key the distance into the compass/clino datalogger.

Hence my question about how much of a pain (I know it's more error prone) would keying be?

Whilst I was typing that I have just seen Graham's reply. Just wondering why is "a single unit essential for paperless surveying". I'm thinking a box that contains the compass/clino and does data logging that can be attached to the LDM. All readings would be taken at the same time (distance, bearing, clino) it's then a case of getting the distance logged.

graham

It's a matter of efficiency, you log far more offsets if they go straight in instead of having to be keyed in every time.

The more offsets the better the drawing.

SamT

I emailed Beat regarding this..

here are his replies...

Yes if have seen the DXT and it immediately became my favourite for a new
device. I already looked at its internals and I found a way to interface to it
but I have not made enough tests to be sure it works as expected.

and more importantly...

please make clear that this project is
in a early stage and there is no guarantee for a final product

fingers crossed then, because if it happens. the "DistoX DXT" looks to be the mutts nuts of cave surveying kit.