Chauvet Cave

Rich West

Very interesting interview with film director Werner Herzog talking about his 3D film "Cave of Forgotten Dreams"  broadcast on BBC Radio Five.  Available as a Podcast on the Radio Five website or on BBC iPlayer.

graham

Most people on here wouldn't like it, no squeezes, no SRT. there is a short pitch just inside the entrance, but it's a fixed steel ladder.

Oh, and there's an occasional CO2 problem.

Tony_B

J4nny, thanks! Hadn't spotted this...just booked for tonight.

I was disappointed to have missed this when it came out, as it was only on in London for a short run and I just couldn't get there that week. I heard Werner Herzog interviewed by Mayo and Kermode at the time and it sounds like a must-see for us caving types. Will report back tomorrow...

Tony_B

Fascinating film! Just don't expect much from South Hill Park's cinema. 60 seats and a screen not a great deal bigger than that in some people's living rooms. I wish I'd had the chance to see this on a proper screen and in 3D.

The paintings in Chauvet Cave are amazing and it's easy to see why the 'curators' have gone to such lengths to preserve them. This film is the only chance you're likely to get to witness them. 

Jopo

Just been to see the film in the local welfare hall. In the eye of the beholder or a keen Herzog fan I suppose.

Fascinating subject - subjected to terrible filming.

Good screen with good center aisle seats. Polaroid 3d glasses.

Shame about the film. Hand held 3d camera for most of the time. Lighting replicated a flickering torch too well. The star spangled banner played on a replica prehistoric flute and some old geezer sniffing stals! Absolutely crap presentation and the rambling on about albino alligators at the end just about capped it. And the music was awful.
Stick to the book(s)

Jopo