• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

WHY do you go caving????

freshFACE

Hello everyone,

I'm a students at the Universitycollege Falmouth and I'm currently researching different extreme sports/hobbies/activities.
I recently stumbled upon some books about caving and I'm really want to base my entire project around it.
my main problem is that although I have read a bit about the sport I honestly don't understand what actually drives people to do it.

So I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me just Why you love caving so much., What got you started, Or just share some of your most memorable/exciting experiences while caving.

thanks in advance for all of you reponses :)

kay

We've had at least one thread on this before, so use the search box to try and find it - it drew a lot of answers. Personally, I've always wanted to see where holes in the ground went to.

You could also look at some pictures of caves - look at the Wezzit? thread if nothing else - who *wouldn't* want to go underground and see such things?

Personally, I find it much stranger *not* to want to go caving.

Peter Burgess

freshFACE said:
Hello everyone,

I'm a students at the Universitycollege Falmouth and I'm currently researching different extreme sports/hobbies/activities.
I recently stumbled upon some books about caving and I'm really want to base my entire project around it.
my main problem is that although I have read a bit about the sport I honestly don't understand what actually drives people to do it.

So I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me just Why you love caving so much., What got you started, Or just share some of your most memorable/exciting experiences while caving.

thanks in advance for all of you reponses :)
It sounds like you don't go caving... So give it a try and you might find the answers!

Elaine

Yes, that is a good idea. If you have a caving club nearby I am sure they would take you along to a cave somewhere where you could ask them your questions and you could chat to them whilst in the cave and maybe get a better understanding of what they are talking about!

cap n chris

Exploration, exhilaration, exercise, enjoyment, challenge, friendships, excitement, spectacular places/scenery and that's the first load of stuff which instantly springs to mind in about ten seconds. There's probably loads more and each person will have their own individual motivations.

Alex

Aye reading about it, is no substitute for doing it. Maybe you will have your own answers to those questions.

Amy

It is impossible to see darkness. It is impossible to remember darkness. Darkness never satisfies, it cannot satisfy.

mrodoc

Cool place for the arts is Falmouth. Know several people who went there. Plus 3 Daft Monkeys come from there. Not cavers but good fun and all from South West including Chard (Birthplace of Powered Flight) which even has some caves itself - but don't rush. Chard plug now over! :) Why do I do it. Dunno but wasted time digging in Chard caves as a youngster and they are in greensand and flint.

Brains

Loads of active mine explorers in the SW, tend to be more on Aditnow and Mine-Explorer though. Best bet is to give it a go.
I started as a climber/moutaineer and got taken caving in the Peak on some naff days to horrible to leave the cafe. Really enjoyed it, less faffing than climbing, more social, all weather, all year fun. Oh, and I'm a geologist as well so enjoy looking at the surroundings in mines or caves. The history and industrial archaeology are good too!

TheBitterEnd

Is the answer not similar for any pastime? Why do people collect stamps or go ball room dancing or watch football? Presumbaly because the requirements of the activity fit with the personality of the individual.

andyguppy

I asked myself the very same question "WHY do you go caving????" as I got stuck in the Sting in Nettle!!!! :mad:
Guppy

SamT

Who was it who said...

"if you ask the question, you probably wouldn't understand the answer"

JasonC

SamT said:
Who was it who said...

"if you ask the question, you probably wouldn't understand the answer"

I would tell you, but you probably wouldn't understand ..... ;)

owd git

Shhh! :LOL:
The constabulary already have my van tagged as a doggin hotspot for parking hither and yon of a night.  :eek:
O. G.

mr conners

Probably one of the main reasons is for the social. The lads I cave with are not big pub fans (we save that till after the trip) so for a friday night it's a really good way of catching up and doing something interesting at the same time. Plus it's fun watching Guppy stuck in the sting  ;)

So main reasons are:
interesting
its a physical activity so you stay fit
sociable
you get to buy and discuss kit