• The Derbyshire Caver, No. 158

The latest issue is finally complete and printed

Subscribers should have received their issue in the post - please let us know if you haven't. For everyone else, the online version is now available for free download:

Click here for download link

Black Pudding Pot, Wigmore Swallet

southpembscaver

The ladder in situ on this pitch has snapped on one side halfway down. It should really have been coiled at the pitch head to make this obvious but I did not think of that until later. Apologies to whoever owned this kit but it did just snap even though I am not particularly fat.

Dickon

Chris J

Good reminder that ladders do snap - it has been down there for a while as part of our ongoing Wigmore project. When we started it was common to climb unlifelined...

cheers,
Chris

owd git

Chris J said:
Good reminder that ladders do snap - it has been down there for a while as part of our ongoing Wigmore project. When we started it was common to climb unlifelined...

cheers,
Chris
(y) (y) (y)
good point well made.
O.G.

mrodoc

Ladders in situ especially in relatively out of the way locations do need to be regarded with suspicion. Ken Passant will recall how a ladder once broke in Honeymead Hole after I had made him climb a short distance of it several times for a photo. That had been left by the original diggers. Had to put up with a 'I told you so' lecture as Ken had earlier been  telling me a lifeline should always be used in case the ladder broke and I had told him I had never seen it happen :-[ I have also once abseiled on an rope of considerable vintage and have it break 50 cm from the bottom of the pitch. Seemed like a good idea at the time but more  :-[