• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Cambrian Slate Mine- North Wales

darwen dave

I've been keen on a re-visit to this place for a while, so with the weather forecast being heavy showers, I collared Andyj23UK and off we went.

Here's a few pics.

CambrianSlateMine025.jpg

CambrianSlateMine002.jpg

CambrianSlateMine008.jpg

CambrianSlateMine014.jpg

We tried to find some other workings in the quarry above the top entrance. There's evidence of them all over the place, but we couldn't find them.
CambrianSlateMine021.jpg

Hanging death. :eek:
CambrianSlateMine019.jpg

CambrianSlateMine022.jpg

This place is HUGE. I've spent around eight hours in there so far, and there's still things yet to be discovered.

Lu

Love the Pics Dave, thanks for sharing.
I am actually trying to find some caves/mines where i can spend a day without worries about how much rain is coming down.
Doesn't seem to be a problem here...i will add this one to my "to see list".
Nat

ChrisJC

Caving Nat said:
I am actually trying to find some caves/mines where i can spend a day without worries about how much rain is coming down.
That's pretty much true of all slate mines*

Chris.

* they are slate quarries if one is to be a pedant.

moorebooks

when you come out in the quarry with the plant in you should head towards the stream / waterfall you will notice an entrance there and that lets you into quite a few more chambers, just be sure that the entrance will not be blocjked other falls . We used it for the NAMHO conference last weekend and everything was safe.

Any brave soul that fancies a dig at the end of the tunnel there is a large head of water backed up that will lead to an extensive labrinth of workings currently flooded - iahve been down incline shaft to water and have confirmed that .

Mike

NewStuff

moorebooks said:
Any brave soul that fancies a dig at the end of the tunnel there is a large head of water backed up that will lead to an extensive labrinth of workings currently flooded - iahve been down incline shaft to water and have confirmed that

I would strongly advise against this. It's more than a large head of water behind that collapse, the area of water is another set of workings, at least as big as the ones that are currently explorable. The quarry that was dammed up here was drained over fears it would blow, and probably wipe parts of GC off the map. These workings contain far more water than the quarry ever would.. Digging here, and releasing the water, is likely to involve a very fast, involuntary and forced ejection from the mine, not to mention what that deluge of water would do to the village below. The collapse is all that is holding the water back.

RobinGriffiths

Speaking of which, did the Nant Adda adit on Parys mountain ever get drained ? There were plans around to remove the coffer dam holding back a substantial head of water there about 10 or so years ago.

Robin