• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

Dales weather watch

Pitlamp

We had a big storm in the Clapham area early this morning (Tuesday 2nd August) in which it put down half an inch of rain in 8 minutes. It looks like the eastern side of the Dales was less affected by last night's weather system; has anyone over Wharfedale direction had any serious rain yet? Knowing that you haven't would also be useful. Thanks.

langcliffe

Just an unrecordable smattering last night, and nowt so far today. Rain radar indicates that we may get some showers in an hour or two, but the main belt will miss.

langcliffe

Very light rain at 13:00 - the rain radar indicates that it won't get any worse and will soon pass over.

Pitlamp

Thanks Langcliffe - I knew that if you responded we could rely on you for a comprehensive response.

Actually Clapham Beck has hardly been affected by the intense rain this morning. If you could update us if the situation changes this week I'd be grateful.

Cheers.

langcliffe

braveduck said:
Watch Jon Mitchell ,Calender weather man down GG on Thursday at 6pm ish.

There wouldn't be an element of self-aggrandisement here, would there Mr. Duck?

langcliffe

Pitlamp said:
If you could update us if the situation changes this week I'd be grateful.

6 mm between 8:00 am and 12:00 pm this morning, Monsieur Pitlamp. Unfortunately the river level measuring equipment at Grassington seems to be knackered at the moment...

Pitlamp

Just in case anyone's interested, apparently that storm didn't affect groundwaters significantly and, as at Friday (8th), Clapham Beck is pretty low again.

mikem

EA river levels website is down for routine maintenance this weekend, but usually it's a great source for seeing what the rivers are doing.

Mike

dunc

Looking at the rain radar there's been some hefty rain about in the Dales, if it's anything like what it was this morning around Manchester I wouldn't have liked to have been underground when it started coming down..

Pitlamp

(I'll just nip outside & glance at the gauge . . . . . )

It put down 14 mm between 08-30 and 14-00 here (near Clapham). We got underground very early this morning to beat the forecast weather (even making an extension in the process, hence being keen enough for an early start) but the rivers didn't look to have been affected much when we were driving back.

langcliffe

8 mm here.

I was in Kingsdale down Bull Pot, and a nice friendly cave was transformed in minutes to a most hostile environment. Kingsdale Beck was a torrent when we got out.

Pitlamp

Wednesday 10th; as forecast it's been horrendously wet all day on the western side of the Dales. Rivers in full flood.

Pitlamp

6 a.m. Wednesday 10th to 6 a.m. Thursday 11th; 50 mm of rain collected in the gauge near Clapham. This is at valley level; there'll have been more up on the hill.