• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Helmet cam with basic point and shoot camera

spelunkik

If some of you want to try something new, you might be interested in temporarily attaching a regular point and shoot camera to your helmet. I did this to get a POV video while crawling through a cave we've been digging in the US. The setup was very easy. All I needed was a segment of 1/4"-20 threaded rod and a nut. I put the rod through a preexisting hole in my Edelrid helmet and adjusted the angle with a modified plastic bottle cap. The result was okay, but if I could do things over I would have used a camera that was better in low light situations or I would have used a stronger headlamp.

Crawling to dig

mrodoc

My bro in law has done this very successfully in the UK and also used the system for exploring inaccessible passage by mounting it on a trolley with a home made video light.

spelunkik

Haha! Yes, after watching this video for the first time, I realized that I also need to slow my head movements down if I ever make another video.

The Old Ruminator

The one what his BIL made.

273A.jpg

spelunkik

Very neat! I bet that trolley works perfectly under the right situations.

I notice there is an accompanying light source. This is a DIY too, right? How bright is it?

Out of curiosity, do you have any sample videos using this setup on a helmet or trolley to share? I would very much like to see the results.

The Old Ruminator

Hi.
Peter's BIL makes his own stuff up including the light source. He does not frequent forums but I have the remote video on disc in high res. with no idea how to load it up. The remote went about four metres down a 200 mm high passage ( propelled by drain rods ) including going around a corner. It gave remarkably clear results indicating that the passage stopped at a mud bank and further digging would be worthwhile.

Alex

We can do with one of those for Lowerarch eh Dunc? I always wondered if I could make one, though my idea was to attatch a camera to a remote control car.