Neil Moss News Reel

bubba

Administrator
Corrected post....FYI To embed a youtube vid, just link to the youtube.com version, not the youtu.be version - you don't need any embed code, just post the link like this and the forum software does the rest:  (obviously, without the [ code ] tags, that's just shown for clarity)

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOdK45sBnk

Pitlamp

Absolutely fascinating - thanks Mark.

The gorge and houses don't look much different even today.

Anyone know the identities of any of the cavers in those short clips? One looked like he may have been a very young Randal Coe (CPC).

SamT

Jim Eyre walked past the camera I think at 26 sec, adjusting his black (sic) hat - If that's the right nose I'm thinking of.

Mrs Trellis

Yup - that's the nose of Jim Eyre.  I think the girl is June Bailey who tried for hours to get down to Neil Moss and break his shoulders (!). Ron Peters is probably on there , he was only 5 foot tall. Les Salmon as well - is that him with June Bailey? The doctor talking to the press is Flght Lt John Carter.

Mrs Trellis

If JE was there Dr John Frankland would be too. Also I guess Dr Hugh Kydd and Soppy from the EPC.  I'll have a word with Wacker on the new talking cardboard-and-leather telephone tomorrow. Some of the film is a bit dark with the cavers' backs to the camera.

Armchair

Despite playing a somewhat greater role than Ms Bailey, Ron Peters doesn't appear in this footage. The chap with the specs at 37sec could be Johnny Plowes, who was effectively the controller.

sonoflewis

Hi there folks and sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread.

So a few days ago my Dad came home for Christmas and regaled me with tales of his caving days in Derbyshire including his involvement in the Neil Moss attempt. His best man was none other than Ron Peters.  A little bit of google-mancy brought me here. I have also had delivered the book 'Derbyshire heroes' as one of the chapters is named after Ron and my Dad. I am fascinated to learn if any of the other books might have more pictures or media of the event, especially the DVD that I have seen mentioned (and seems to be still available)

I believe Ron received the George Medal for his efforts in managing to get a sturdier rope round Neil, my Dad was one of the people that previously tried to reach Neil unsuccessfully.

I have become terribly proud to be part of this heritage in the last few days and cant wait to see my Dads face when he gets the book tomorrow and I show him this newsreel.

Peace and Love to you all
David
Son of Thomas (Tom) Lewis

martinm

I would second the recommendation for Dave Webb's film, I have a copy on DVD here, courtesy of Dave himself. 'Tis excellent, as usual of course with Dave's films.  (y)

sonoflewis

Dad really enjoyed the book - the quotes in it are from a piece he wrote for the Derby Telegraph.

Have also procured the DVD and watched it with him. Understandably dissapointed that didnt get a mention and didnt seem to be on any of the pics :(

However some additional details to add to the video. My dad remembers that Neil was apparently closer to the dogleg than shown. Also one of the guys at the prologue states he thought he was the only one from original rescue that returned with Joe Berger 2 weeks later. My Dad was there to collect Orpheus Club equipment.

Also he was wondering why Ron (Peters) didnt get more of a mention given what Dad remembers of his repeated efforts to get a rope to Neil. Maybe Ron refused to be interviewed and hence his part was reduced. Im sure he will ask him this weekend.

Happy New Year to all

and remember "Cavers do it deeper" :)