• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

The dangers of working for the Health & Safety Executive

Mrs Trellis

They should be among the safest workers in the land.
But staff at the Health and Safety Executive could perhaps do with reading their own literature.
Its employees recorded a total of 53 accidents at work last year, according to figures released after a Freedom of Information request.

A man who cut his eye on a piece of A3 paper - wear goggles when handling paper.

Someone who cut two fingers after putting them into a working fan - don't try this at home, it may be harmful.

Another employee was bruised by a falling toilet roll holder - wear shinpads when using the lavatory.

Perhaps more embarrassing, an employee endured the indignity of a groin strain after tripping over a ?Caution: Wet Floor? sign - wear a cricket box after floor cleaning.

For a watchdog that brought us leaflets including ?Preventing Slips and Trips at Work?, ?Safe Use of Ladders and Stepladders? and ?The Importance of Floor Cleaning? the episodes will be rather embarrassing.

The HSE?s Bootle base near Liverpool was the most accident-prone with ten incidents reported there between March 2010 and April this year. You may not be surprised to read this.

Staff in London fared little better with one slightly scalding themselves after spilling coffee and another incurring a bruise after walking into a box.
And, perhaps dispelling the myth that northern workers are a little more robust than their southern counterparts, an employee in Sheffield was struck down by ?severe muscular stiffness to shoulder? after sitting in a cold draught - gthe poor lambkin.

Another there was the member of staff struck by a falling roller blind, while in York one employee was hit by a toilet roll holder falling open.
In Birmingham, an employee cut his finger on a smashed plate(were they having a Greek ..er.. afternoon?), and a man in Glasgow was treated after a balloon burst in his face.

So there you are - pen-pushing and desk-driving are inherently dangerous; although some may suspect that these are ingenious ways to pull a sickie rather than phoning in on Thursday and croaking in a man-flu voice " I may be better by the end of the self-certifying period""

Amy

waitaminute...seriously all those are reported???? I cut myself on a broken glass slide in the lab few months ago, I washed it up put some antibacterial and a bandaid on my finger and went about my day as if nothing happened and never reported it! It was a sharp cut so it was staying closed so I knew it didn't need stitches. I could've used some wound glue if it had needed. I mean...really? That sounds like a worse injury then many of these....ha! I mean a lab gave me my migraines (the professor screwed up and exposed me to hazmat) and even THAT didn't get reported until I reported it the next day and now I deal with chronic migraines and I didn't even get comp for it at all. And the uni basically ignored me and refused to fix the problems until I called OSHA on them, they got surprise inspected, and 4 violations of federal law with the disposal of hazmat was found! (And even with this proof to my case unis have immunity here so I can't sue for damages or anything, and of course they are going to find themselves innocent so they don't have to comp me at all. I had to pay all my own medical bills, not to mention missed time at work, not to mention 2 semesters screwed over while I tried to get them under control!)
</rant>

crickleymal

I don't see why those incidents (if true) should be embarassing for the HSE. Most of them seem to be employee stupidity not anything the HSE have done wrong.

ttxela

I think the key thing here is that these are "recorded" accidents rather than "reported" accidents i.e. recorded within the organisation rather than requiring statutory reporting........

Rhys

It's also important to point out that not everything you read on the internet is true. Most of that report is probably made up anyway...

Bob Smith

As Albert Einstein is often quoted "Not all quotes on the internet are necessarily true or attributed to the right person!"

ChrisB

Amy, the difference is that you're in the USA. The UK has acquired a lot of H&S legislation from the EU and compared to the rest of Europe, we try to work to it. This results in lower accident rates, but brings with it lots of bureaucracy and some apparently excessive caution. I suspect the apparent excess at one end is necessary to get the culture change in the middle. I don't think the US approach to business management would tolerate the way the UK does it. I have no idea whether the economy is better or worse off overall, but certainly some people in the UK are alive and well who wouldn't be otherwise - but they don't know who they are so don't necessarily appreciate the point.

For an example of UK and other accident rates see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_site_safety

PS - apologies for spoiling the joke thread by taking it seriously!

Roger W

ChrisB said:
This results in lower accident rates, but brings with it lots of bureaucracy and some apparently excessive caution...

Reminds me of the "safety precautions" bit I saw in a laboratory chemicals catalogue quite a few years ago.  The chemical in question was super-pure distilled water.  The safety stuff read "in case of skin contact, wash off with plenty of water."

Oh, well...

graham

ChrisB said:
Amy, the difference is that you're in the USA. The UK has acquired a lot of H&S legislation from the EU and compared to the rest of Europe, we try to work to it. This results in lower accident rates, but brings with it lots of bureaucracy and some apparently excessive caution. I suspect the apparent excess at one end is necessary to get the culture change in the middle. I don't think the US approach to business management would tolerate the way the UK does it. I have no idea whether the economy is better or worse off overall, but certainly some people in the UK are alive and well who wouldn't be otherwise - but they don't know who they are so don't necessarily appreciate the point.

For an example of UK and other accident rates see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_site_safety

PS - apologies for spoiling the joke thread by taking it seriously!

Shame that wiki page doesn't compare the figures like with like, most of the EU figures were a few years old. However the US and UK ones were for the same year and tell an alarming tale - if you are an American construction worker, that is.

Hughie

Roger W said:
ChrisB said:
This results in lower accident rates, but brings with it lots of bureaucracy and some apparently excessive caution...

Reminds me of the "safety precautions" bit I saw in a laboratory chemicals catalogue quite a few years ago.  The chemical in question was super-pure distilled water.  The safety stuff read "in case of skin contact, wash off with plenty of water."

Oh, well...

Indeed.

I've used some rat poison that says "Danger. Product may contain nuts". Seriously.

:-\ :-\

Amy

I am LOL'ing at the photo on the wiki page linked...625 MPH? Really? What car can go that fast? hahahaha

graham

Amy said:
I am LOL'ing at the photo on the wiki page linked...625 MPH? Really? What car can go that fast? hahahaha

Parochial American ;) Just 'cos your guys never got faster than 630 mph (Gary Gabelich driving Blue Flame in 1970) Whereas ours have got up to 760 mph (Andy Green, ThrustSSC, 1970).  8)

andys

graham said:
Amy said:

Parochial American ;) Just 'cos your guys never got faster than 630 mph (Gary Gabelich driving Blue Flame in 1970) Whereas ours have got up to 760 mph (Andy Green, ThrustSSC, 1970).  8)

Then again, MPH might not be miles per hour at all. Looks like its in the New Mexico desert to me so, its probably "Martians per Hectare".......... :alien: