Missing diver

Pat Cronin

Dear Team

I write this before the media circus descends.

As of 5th September 2011, a diver exploring part of the underground river system in the Gort area failed to return to base, a search was carried out into the early hours of 6th September without success.

Those of you who can guess the identity please remain silent until the family and friends are all notified.

The search continues  today.

There is no need to respond to this notice via the web.

Love, Light and Peace

Pat Cronin

SamT

Arturs body was recovered earlier today.

apologies, slight correction -
"Artur's body was located yesterday and left in situ.  A team of three from the UK will attempt the body recovery today"

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0906/galway.html

My deepest sympathy to his family and all those who knew him.

RIP Artur.

reforma

Cant believe this has happened. his blog was truly inspirational, a great loss to the cave diving community.

Rest in peace
Artur

caving_fox

I was shocked when I heard this last night. I never knew him personally but have followed his exploits. Tragic loss not just obviously to his family and friends, but also the wider caving community.

deepest sympathies to all those who knew him
RIP
Artur

Tragic indeed. Artur Koslowski brought Irish cave diving into the 21st Century in the same way that Martyn Farr opened the the floodgates in the 1970's.

Joel Corrigan

This is tragic news, but it's also fairly disappointing that such an outstanding explorer should pass away with such little comment from the regulars on this forum.  If someone had asked the usual daft question about abseiling using a bicycle seat for friction or whatever then there would have been more interest.  Artur was one of the most dedicated cave explorers of recent times & yet there's hardly a murmur.  Bit of a shame, methinks.   

martinb

Damn shame to loose Artur.

I never met him, but read his exploits with interest in Descent. Cave Diving has lost one of their best.

Perhaps if the thread was renamed by one of the mods to reflect who was involved there would be more comments from the masses.

Roger W

Probably lots of us are so saddened - we don't know what to say.

I'd echo what Caving Fox said - didn't know Artur personally, but was impressed by his diving trips into places I couldn't even begin to think of going.  I didn't realise who it was at first, but when Sam gave his name, I felt "No - it can't be!"

A great caver, a great diver - a tragic loss indeed.

Devon Boy

It is a terrible loss! I have gone though his Blog again over the last few days and he was a truly inspirational guy. Martyn Farr was talking so highly of Artur on Facebook today and I think that highlights just how much of an amazing diver/caver he was!!

RIP  :(

SamT

As suggested, I've altered the topic title.  Echo all the above, I've never met him but his blog is inspirational and cave diving has certainly lost one of its major players.

:(

Brains

Sad to hear this news, my condolences to his family and friends.
In due course technical details may emerge that could be of benefit to future explorers.
Could somebody post a link to the blog please?
RIP Artur

Alex

Wish I had met him when he was alive, he sounds like the sort of pioneer that are too few and far between nowadays and sadly that is now even more so.

Rest in Peace Arthur.

Pat Cronin

To whom ever has chosen to alter the title of this notice that I posted, from the original of Missing Diver; you should really have thought your action  through.

I am disappointed you have seen fit to change the title.

I am surprised a name being banded about when the casualty has not yet been formally identified to the Gardai.

I make this comment with the authority of being in overall control of the recovery, when I release the identity of the diver perhaps then would be the appropriate time for you to announce it, mmm?.

Meanwhile please be so good as to change the title back to the one I posted, otherwise I may become grumpy.

Love, Light and Peace

Pat Cronin

dunc

Pat Cronin said:
I am surprised a name being banded about when the casualty has not yet been formally identified to the Gardai.
Don't know who changed it. But. With all due respect the name is available on numerous news websites (and on other sites plenty of very obvious clues as to the identity).

NigR

Whilst dunc is correct that the name of the diver is indeed mentioned on various other sites and is now common knowledge I do think that Pat should have his request granted as he was the OP.

A separate remembrance thread could then be started at a more appropriate time.