Life insurance for cavers

Richard

I know this is a topic that his been covered a fair bit in the past, but I have recently arranged a new policy through Sports Financial Services (also known as Summit Financial Services) - http://www.sports-fs.co.uk/ and was very very pleased with them.  Mainly because the broker I spoke to, David, is a caver, previously used to be in CRO and was therefore able to patiently explain to the underwriters exactly what sort of caving I do, and how dangerous it is (relative to risks they do understand).  I believe this has involved long sessions with senior underwriters physically showing them caving equipment and explaining what they are and what cavers actually do.

Bottom line - the new policy costs less than 50p more than my old policy and covers me for the caving I do, whereas the old policy explictly excluded death through caving (a necessary compromise to cover all other activities such as climbing / skiing etc).  In all other respects (term, benefits etc) the policy is identical.

Anyway, I have no interest in sparking a debate about the rights and wrongs of life insurance, but if anybody is interested you could send me a private message and I'll let you know the rough details of my policy, or better still go to their website and ask them to call you.

And no, I don't work for them - just a genuinely happy customer.

SamT

I'll second you - dealt with David too, prior to my Albania trip.  Was soooo refreshing to speak to someone who knew exactly what I was talking about, what was involved etc.

Big up for Summit (Sports Financial Services)

crickleymal

That's worth knowing. The last insurance people I spoke to would only give me critical illness insurance if I did fewer than 20 trips per year. They weren't in the slightest bit bothered by me commuting 15k miles a year on my motorbike though  o_O

nickwilliams

Speaking on behalf of BCA, we'd also like to endorse the service offered by Summit FS. BCA makes a small commission on their sales to cavers so by buying from them you are also helping to support BCA.

Nick.

damian

I've just had the following from David Hallam of Summit Financial Services. Looks like very good news for those seeking Life Insurance.

Its been a while since we spoke but we have been actively working with a number of insurance companies with regard to obtaining better terms for BCA members

At long last we have some sensible terms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For U.K. France Spain Austria  Belgium Switzerland Germany and Netherlands.

BCA members special rate. LESS THAN 50 trips  per annum Ordinary rates with NO exclusion. These terms do not apply to cave diving although we can get this cover at an extra charge.

Active and trained cave rescue personnel and caving instructors.Ordinary rates irrespective of frequency and location.

I believe that these terms are the best on the market and a lot of work has been undertaken by a number of companies.

Skyrmy

damian said:
I've just had the following from David Hallam of Summit Financial Services. Looks like very good news for those seeking Life Insurance.

Its been a while since we spoke but we have been actively working with a number of insurance companies with regard to obtaining better terms for BCA members

At long last we have some sensible terms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For U.K. France Spain Austria  Belgium Switzerland Germany and Netherlands.

BCA members special rate. LESS THAN 50 trips  per annum Ordinary rates with NO exclusion. These terms do not apply to cave diving although we can get this cover at an extra charge.

Active and trained cave rescue personnel and caving instructors.Ordinary rates irrespective of frequency and location.

I believe that these terms are the best on the market and a lot of work has been undertaken by a number of companies.

Whats the bottom line in ?,s,d?