Caving in Peru or Bolivia

steff

Hi Guys

Apologies if this is a repost, I did a quick search but couldn't find any info.

I'm thinking of heading out to either Peru or Bolivia next year, and wondered if anyone could give any hints or tips on the area.  At the moment we are struggling a little bit to find any information about the caving in the area that isn't in Spanish.  If anyone could shed some light on things I'd really appreciate it

Steff

jarvist

Possibly a bit old hat now, but Imperial ran expeditions to Peru in 1972 and 1984 wherein both times they explored Peru's then longest cave.

From our 25 yr history (written in 1987, so records are obviously dated) (http://union.ic.ac.uk/rcc/caving/wiki.php?n=Main.TheFirst25Years):
In 1972 the delayed IC Karst Research Expedition to the Peruvian Andes finally took place with six members and Rog Bowser as the leader. This was a highly successful expedition doing much pioneering speleological and geological work. Notable successes were the first bottoming and survey of Peru's and S America's depest cave at -407m (the record still stands today), the first survey of Peru's (then) longest cave, as well as the exploration and survey of many other new caves.

And (Summer 1984)
This was followed by an eight person expedition to Peru, prompted initially by the 1972 expedition but based further north. Notable successes included the exploration and survey of Peru's longest cave (2.5 km) and several other caves associated with the main river cave system.

Certainly the 1972 Expo was published as a 'Journal of the British Speleological Association' CAVE SCIENCE - Imperial College Expedition to the Karst of Peru, Number 52, November 1973.
It's 34 pages of text in Quarto size, with a folder of surveys at the back, and other double-sized fold out maps.

I'm not sure what written report came out of the 1984 expedition (I could have a root around in our library if you wish), but there's some info in our 1985 newsletter on the 84 expedition, see page 7 onwards:
http://union.ic.ac.uk/rcc/caving/lib/ICCC-06-October-1985.pdf

It refers to the 'excellent written report', but I'm not sure whether I've ever seen a copy!

I'm happy to scan anything we own the copyright to & put online, if it's helpful & I can find the time.

rhychydwr1

Latest NSS News has a long article on caving in Peru.  Cannot offer to copy it as I have just sold it.  But most caving clubs should have a copy.

Hawkes Jr was in Peru, if he is still there, well worth contacting him.

A couple of refs:

CAVERNAS GRUTAS Y CUEVAS DEL PERU [Caves of Peru] by Cesar Garcia Rosell , 1965. 54pp map and b & w plates

*BOLIVIA

HUMAJALANTA No 1 Agosto 1998  41pp photos, surveys etc.  This is a new journal published by the Bolivian Speleological Society.  Speleology in Bolivia; Grutas de Torotoro; Geology and Karst; Gruta de San Pedro; Croat Expedition to Torotoro; A Cave Fish Named after a famous French Caver - Jacque Chabert etc.  In Spanish.

THE CAVES OF PERU by ANDREW PAVEY in The British Caver.  Not sure which one off hand, but I have scanned it in and can send it to if you email me.

mrodoc

Rob Harper and Bob Cork were out there relatively recently doing exploration. I don't think either of them are on the forum but I could supply an email if you want to PM me.