• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

Devetashkata Cave, Bulgaria

graham

This has just been forwarded to me:

*URGENT!!!*

*Dear All!*

*Please read my letter and make possible to help us!!!*

Shooting of the Hollywood production *Expendables 2 *in Devetashkata Cave led to dramatic disturbance of big bat colonies, which hibernate in this cave.

This cave is a Protected Natural Landmark and falls in two NATURA 2000 sites- Devetashko Plato BG0000615 and BG0002102.

The cave cover all EUROBATS criteria for a roost with international importance, which can be summarised with the following numbers:

Species Usage Max.
count Year

*Miniopterus schreibersii* All year

*Myotis capaccinii* All year
3000 2002

*Myotis myotis/blythii* Maternity

*Nyctalus** **noctula* Hibernation
2000 2010

*Rhinolophus ferrumequinum* Hibernation 500

R*hinolophus hipposideros* Hibernation 3

I am enclosing a map, where I have outlined the potential source area, from where only Miniopterus schreibersii are coming for hibernation.

After a visit of a bat team carried on 16.11.2011, a noteworthy decline of the Miniopterus colony was observed. From about 35 000 bats, which I have
counted in each of the last 5 winters, today we have only about 8 600 left in the cave. The noise disturbance due to construction, which have started
on 31.10.2011 is so great that while standing under the colony you can hardly hear a normally talking man.

In result, the bats are not in torpor and many were observed flying around. The weather is too cold and there are almost no insects flying at night.

The main problem is the uncontrolled construction noise, which involve metal and wood cutting machinery, power generators, moving truck, ATVs and
other vehicles, 100+ people moving around. This happen every day from 31.10 and will last until about 10.12.2011.

However the most striking fact is that the Ministry of Environment and Water (MEW) remains completely silent. Due to our daily reports what's happen in the cave, the interest from all major TVs, radio and newspapers is really very supportive. Today Bulgarian National Television will show a 7-10min story on Devetaskata during the prime time after the central news emission.

The forums of all news agencies are full of supportive opinions and statements under the stories, which we provide on this case.

At present we expect decisions on the signals deposited in the Prosecutor's Office of Lovech town and the court in Pleven town. We have alarmed them that construction of the bridge over Osam River used for the access of the production machinery lack the necessary permits and thus is illegal. We have found important documents proving this!

Bearing in mind the broad media coverage, the striking facts from the field checks, we hope to be successful at the end of the story. However I will greatly acknowledge if you can send to National Nature Protection Service Department in MEW a written statement (by post and by e-mail on * nnps@moew.government.bg) *and request to provide official information on:

*1. Present number of bats in Devetashkata Cave after the launch of the production Expendables 2 ?*

I have sent in MEW through the National Museum of Natural History a 4 page official report on what we have observed in the cave during the field visit on 16th Nov 2011...so they have the exact numbers.

*2. What measures have been recommended by the Regional Inspectorate of Environment and how they were taken into account during the construction?*

Actually they have recommended just a few, very formal bans, none of which was ever followed by the production units!

*3. What will be the future of the heavy metal bridge, which will allow access of thousands tourists and motor vehicles?*

Before 1990, the bridge was a property of the Bulgarian Army. Around 2003 it was almost fully disjointed and only the concrete foundations remained. In August-September 2011 the bridge was rebuild by the producers, who recently declared in the medias that "we shall donate this solid construction to the county's government to develop the local tourism".

*4. Who will take care the further management of Devetashkata Cave and how its international importance to bats will be kept and observed?*

The best option which we are pursuing in this case it to decide on a round table with the local authorities, that tourists will be allowed in the cave almost year-round but the access to the galleries with bats will be fully banned.

We will insist for a permanent guarding of the cave, which will bring benefits to the local people (the access will be controlled and the cave formations will not be destroyed) and bats (effective control/ban on visits in the most important underground halls).

Of course, you can add many additional questions and advice from similar cases, which you know.

Your letter will doubtless urge our Ministry of Environment and Water to act responsibly and very carefully since all bat workers, NGO's and medias are observing this case.

We have already received a supporting letter from Mr. Andreas Streit, the Secretary of the Eurobats Agreement (enclosed).

All statements from expert organisations sent to MEW will doubtless help us to reach what we want- sustainable further development of Devetashkata cave
as a tourist attraction, which regime strictly protects the big bat colonies, which roost in the cave.

The full story of this case you can follow at the Green Balkans website:

http://greenbalkans.org/show.php?language=en_EN&id=1270&cat_id=35 - 11th Nov 2011
<http://greenbalkans.org/show.php?language=en_EN&id=1282&cat_id=35>
ttp://greenbalkans.org/show.php?language=en_EN&id=1280&cat_id=35 - 21st Nov 2011

http://greenbalkans.org/show.php?language=en_EN&id=1282&cat_id=35
-<http://greenbalkans.org/show.php?language=en_EN&id=1282&cat_id=35>23rd
Nov 2011

I am looking forward your suggestions and advice how to proceed with your support on this case!

With my best greetings from Sofia,

I' m waiting for *URGENT reaction! *Could you be so kind to send urgently letter form thr the name of the European Federation respectively its ECPC
to our Ministry etc.' waiting to receive this letter too!

Thank you for the help!

You can spread this letter for the National delegates of countries member of FSE with the request for solidarity and help!!!

Thank you in advance!!

*Alexey Zhalov *

*Vice delegate of Bulgaria & Vice Secretary General of FSE

rhychydwr1

49K bats in one cave.  That is incredible.  The most I have seen in the UK is  about 120 bats in one cave.