• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

Digital Cave Photography Workshop - Derbyshire

Rob

[shameless plug]

Sunday February 19th - ?40, places available.
This is a NON SLR workshop and is designed for cavers who want to take better shots on trips using compact digital cameras.

If you are interested in this workshop, please contact the DCA Training Officer direct:
Nigel Atkins. DCA. Training officer.
t: 01283 210666 f: 01283 210777 m: 07831 449919
nigel "at" pennineorganisation "dot" com

I'll go through a bunch of "simple" methods for getting better shots, concentrating on camera settings, easy lighting techniques, equipment and method suggestions, and even some post processing stuff...

Let me know what camera you use beforehand and i'll make sure i'm up-to-speed on how to utilise it.

[/shameless plug]

:mad:  dont think i can make that weekend, but really would like to be able to.

can you let me know if you are running any more non SLR weekends please  :hug:

Rob

No SLR one planned yet, but there will hopefully be one this year... Just in case you're getting confused, i'm not Robbie Shone, I'm Rob Eavis. I haven't done one of these before. I'm hoping it'll be as good though  :)

Just to add, location confirmed as Poole's Cavern, so there will be a mix of classroom and underground...  (y)

jonnyrocketboots

Hi Rob

Im curious as to how you can take a photo underground at al!?!  I've tried catching a few good caving moments with friends on my camera before with pathetic results! Ive found you can have the fun of the moment only to be let down by a shit photo afterwards!  Nige has got me on your DCA day out on 19th Feb and i'm looking forward to it too. Ive a Sony Cyber-shot 12.1 (if that means anything to you??)  also got a little experience with flash guns with Brian from Lincoln Scouts Club.

Cheers for now

Scott on 07702 566924

Give me a buzz please Rob, (Scott 07702 566924)

The Old Ruminator

Its curious how folk have trouble with simply posed underground shots. One reason for this is they simply dont take enough. The old BLF rule if you like ( Bracket like F+++)  If you take 50 shots chances are ten will be OK. I always use the on camera flash for very quick shots and utilize the helmet light for fill. Also do the shots as soon as you get there before the air fugs up.
A few of mine -

091-4.jpg

050-4.jpg

047-11.jpg

009-22.jpg

013-19.jpg

102_edited-1.jpg

029_edited-1.jpg

0232.jpg

032_edited-1-2.jpg

007-25.jpg

Just recent stuff from my ongoing record of work in Reservoir Hole. The thing is to understand the restrictions of on camera lighting and simple cameras. None of these shots were posed or set up. It can be done reasonably well and hopefully more photos here and elsewhere to prove it.

paull

Rob said:
i'm not Robbie Shone, I'm Rob Eavis.

but still takes lovely photos and knows his stuff  :), like the one below he let me use on the wheelcover of my 4x4
6816744221_539301b217.jpg

havnt got the car anymore but still got the wheelcover

Rob

ogof addict said:
:mad:  dont think i can make that weekend, but really would like to be able to.

can you let me know if you are running any more non SLR weekends please  :hug:

Sorry Ogof Addict, i previously misread your post. Not got any more non SLR ones planned. We'll see how this one goes first...

Glad to see there's growing interest...  (y)

i shall have to hope there is enough interest that Rob can run a second course. there is more chance of that happening than me being able to afford an SLR

or do you private sessions?

The Old Ruminator

Two from yesterday's dig. One as a record and the other a bit of fun. Eighty taken yesterday and about 30 retained. You really need little basic understanding of photography for shots like this as the camera is on auto. There may be some Photoshopping afterwards which again is straight forward. Understanding what will happen when you press the shutter is the key. Where the light will fall etc. Possible reflections. As I said in these no posing or setting up. Just things as they happen. After about 1000 cave shots the little Nikon Coolpix is starting to suffer. Its the dust and damp that get them. I lost the zoom function ages ago and now the lens transport and external shutter are playing up. Still prices are coming down and you can get something useful for ?80.

Opening sand bags for wall building.

055_edited-1.jpg

Grouting in a boulder prop.( Camera on the floor under the digger ).
At short range a black background will help the shot.

076-1.jpg

The Old Ruminator

Cavermark you are either naughty or nice.  :LOL: The black background was already down there .Its what happens when the light don't get there. :clap:

What I is saying is on auto the camera will focus and adjust the camera light output on the subject close at hand. If the background is far enough away then that will be black. To my mind it gives a better composition . No fuzzy out of focus clutter in the background. ' Course as we all know there are only two major elements in photography. Composition and light. With caving you have total control of what light to input 'cus its all dark in the first place. The main thrust of my prattling is to say that anyone can get reasonable cave shots with no posing or set ups. Camera on flash set to auto with a tiny bit of tweaking afterwards. So if that is true why dont we see more photos on the forums and the like? I admire the big set up stuff. Just look at the new Box Mines book for that. Multi flash, photo stitching- bloody great but that should not discourage us lesser photographers from getting good shots the easy way.

The Old Ruminator

If you want to tart it up and still keep it simple then just add in a slave fired back light. Still no actual set up or posing keeping it on auto. Best to do a handful of frames though.

Fernhill Cave.

080.jpg

Norris

Some quite relevant points raised so far in this topic, I'm pretty new to photography and looking forward to learning a bit more from Rob on the day. These are probably some of my best underground distance shots (Hanging Flat Mine) so far, done by light painting

431741_149027281880698_100003202826671_190991_1671382459_n.jpg

423353_149027378547355_100003202826671_190993_715525705_n.jpg

402606_149027341880692_100003202826671_190992_1208632790_n.jpg

417126_149027435214016_100003202826671_190994_210179516_n.jpg

maxb727

Excellent day, really enjoyed it, felt like I learnt a lot also. The proof will be when I try it out next month without Robs assistance.

Would recommend the course to others also, never knew my camera did so much.

Thanks to Rob for running it and Nige for the organising.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.744859,-0.491657

Amy

Curious as to the logistics of this - was thinking of running one for people in my grotto as I've developed all my techniques thus far around p&s cameras and was thinking on sharing what I've figured out with others.

I was thinking just basically a photo cave trip to an easy cave that has varied photo opportunities in it, can have people in various locations in small groups and then move between them to help? Did you do some sort of a class-format presentation first?

Norris

Hi Amy, you would have enjoyed the day, it was well educational, and the format pretty much as you suggested, classroom session first half, practical second half... I suspect Rob Eavis may read this thread, try a PM to him, he may be able to guide you if you were thinking of running one yourself.

Good luck

P.S Why have you got "people" in your "grotto"? Is a grotto like a club?  :-\

Amy

LOL yes. Here in the USA, Grotto = Caving Club.

It always amuses me how people use their p&s underground and then wonder why they get shoddy results...I dont have money to take a dSLR and all the fancy photo gear underground so I stick with p&s but just understanding basic lighting for cave photography can go a long way...thought maybe I could do a class for my grotto and teach it as a grotto field trip =) Just share what I have learned over the past year and a half. I get good results...swept the TAG photo salon last October so I must be halfway decent with my widdle p&s and have techniques worthy of sharing, right? haha. So when I saw this was just curious the logistics of how it ran and how well said logistics worked.