• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Lost Kit: Little Meregill

smokey

Following an unpleasant (to say the least) epic in Little Meregill (Chapel-le-Dale) - an SRT set together with a red Petzl Ecrin Roc helmet + light are abandoned in the first passageway before the 2.4m climb.

Whilst I would of course be greatful for the return of the kit, it's retrieval would be a serious undertaking as the cave's grading suggests.

CRO have been informed.

Any information greatly received:
077eight619six720

Cheers.

Alex

If no one else wants to, I may be up for a trip in there this Saturday. I fit through most tight spaces and have ventured part way down there before. (though it was feet first)

If I do get it, would leaving it at Ingelsport do?

Don't worry I know my limits and I wont push my self beyond them if it proves to be too difficult.

Rachel

Sorry to deviate from the topic, but what is it that makes Little Meregill a serious undertaking? I tried googling but couldn't find any info at all apart from it being described as very tight. Just curious.

Benfool

from NCII

Little Meregill is on side of shakehole away from Mere Gill Beck. Crawl with acute bends leads to 2.4m climb down into small chamber. Route out of chamber is climb up wall and Squeeze into slot. Extremely tight slit leads into chamber, and a climb down leads to lower aven. Below this is a 4.5m climb down sharp flakes into Meregill stream passage just before the first underground pitch. Route down is now as for Meregill and a full descent bringing tackle in this way merits Grade V.

Alex

I think then if its before the climb it should be easy for me to fish out. Can I ask though, why did you exit via that route with an SRT kit? I would have tied it to the other pitch ropes and pulled it up/lower it down.

Wanted an extra challange lol?

Pie Muncher

smokey said:
Whilst I would of course be greatful for the return of the kit,

Three hundred quids worth or more, I'd hope you would be greatful. (The sound of the CRO tin rattling in the background)
That is if you get it back of course.

Sausagebun

Never mind CRO :tease:, having tried this in the past anyone who can get this kit deserves any reward going. they also need to eat more :clap:

Alex

As I said provided the weather does not turn too much, I still intend to go and get it this Saturday. I will give you a ring if I manage.

I am just wondering if I should rig one of the shafts incase I can't turn around or back out. I guess my best bet is to drop down the climb and turn around there. I can't remeber does the aven entrance require a sling deviation?

damian

Alex said:
I can't remeber does the aven entrance require a sling deviation?
Depends on how much water is falling and how wet you want to get. There is a nice thread for one part way down.

Alex

Bah now I am going to be bored saturday, I guess I will take up that Swinsto trip then hehe.

Goydenman

Pete Brookdale said:
It took a child to get it though, so i doubt Alex would have fit!

Didn't the Victorians used to send kids up chimneys. Need to go and have a word with my youngest bye....