• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Expedition insurance costs

nickwilliams

I'm trying to gather some data on costs for expedition insurance. Please can anyone who has purchased cover from Snowcard, Dogtag or Towergate/PJ Hayman in the last 9 months or so drop me a line to know what it cost them (as well as the basic details about where you were going and for how long).

Post here, send me a PM or e-mail me at n-dot-williams-at-bcra-dot-org-dot-uk.

Thanks

Nick.

ian.p

Snowcard
10days, intermediate level caving expedition cover,19-25 age group, maximum excess and no baggage/sports equipment cover: ?27.63

Georgbaeumler

Hi, I'm a german caver and well known with a couple of british cavers because I'm included in the "caving in the abode of the clouds"- project in Meghalaya/India and I'm also involved in explorations in Hirlatzh?hle/Austria and in explorations in "Totes Gebirge/Austria". I was asked about insurance possibilities for cavers, as I'm employed at ADAC, the German Automobile Association.

ADAC offers a worldwide coverage for all kind of travels, included cave expeditions. In the meantime a lot of british cavers are covered with ADAC. The membership also includes Break-down service when you have a car problem europewide.

The membership with worldwide repatriation costs EUR 79,50 per year (if under 27 years and in education it's only 68,30 per year).

The additional worldwide health insurance "basis" is EUR 12,80 per year or EUR 18,60 for a couple.
(EUR 25,--/single or EUR 33/couple if you are older than 66 years) The health insurance covers all medical costs after sickness or accident without limit and salvage costs up to 2.600 EUR. It also covers repatriation in case of death (hopefully not!!!). The health insurance covers all voyages up to 45 days. If you make a longer voyage, you need an other long-time health insurance, which is more expensive (ADAC also offers it). Diving and Cave diving is also covered.

The additional accident insurance provides payment up to 100.000 EUR after an accident with disability, includes another EUR 2000,-- salvage costs. It also includes hospital cash after an accident and includes other advantages. The accident insurance covers all kind of accidents worldwide, not only in foreign countries, also in your home country. It costs EUR 69,50 per year. There is no limit, how long a voyage lasts. Diving and Cave diving are included.

The big benefit of the ADAC repatriation is, that it's not only made if it's "medically necessary", it's already made when it's "medically useful".

ADAC has own repratriation airplanes, ADAC makes in average around 80 repatriations per day worldwide. 18 Millions of members trust in this coverage.

Please let me know, if you want to make the membership and the health insurance (these two contracts are minimum coverage) and if you want to make the additional accident insurance.

The membership and the additional insurances last for one year and extend automaticly if you don?t cancel it 3 month before end (membership) or one month before end (insurances).

I need Name, Adress, date of birth and the beginning of the voyage and the length of the voyage. For the payment It's the easiest if you give me a credit-card number and the date of validity of the credit-card. Otherwise also a bill can be sent.

In case of any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards

George
Georg B?umler
ADAC Service-Center 0101
Sendlinger-Tor-Platz 9
80336 M?nchen
Tel:  0049/89/54917219
georg.baeumler@sby.adac.de

paul

FWIW, although it isn't directly answering Nick's question, while we were on an Orpheus trip caving in Thailand a few years ago, we used ADAC (as suggested by Simon Brooks who proably knew about ADAC through his Meghalaya trips and was organising the Thailand trip).

We were very happy with the terms and cover.

Les W

But does ADAC cover self rescue including helicopter evac?
What level of cover is available for this (it can get very expensive very quickly in remote regions...)