Floyd Collins the Musical

Graigwen

cavegirl99 said:
Just discovered this musical about Floyd Collins is on at the Southwark Playhouse in London until the end of the month.

Sounds intriguing

http://southwarkplayhouse.co.uk/the-vault/floyd-collins/

Just booked tickets for 30th March

That is a coincidence. I read about this musical a few weeks ago, while trying to track down the original recipe for the Floyd Collins cocktail (not the one with Vodka and Coconut Rum). At about the same time I had a few beers in the Shipwrights' Arms just round the corner from the Southwark Playhouse for the first time in thirty years.

Apparently the musical had critical acclaim in America when first put on. I guess I had better get another night out in the fleshpots of Tooley Street organised.

Graigwen

crickleymal said:
Sounds awful.

A musical about caving....

AND you want it to be good?

I don't watch films much but I enjoyed that old Kirk Douglas film "Ace in the hole", a bit understated tho'.

Amy

Okay....I've caved in KY...in mammoth if you count roppel...hearing about a musical of Floyd Collins on a UK forum when I was like...right there is really really /weird/. Wonder if it is playing here at all...quick search says it's not.

Fulk

Apparently its British premier was 13 years ago, and the Observer reviewer has been waiting for 13 years to see its revival ? she obviously thinks it's brilliant.

Fulk

cap 'n chris quote:
1st April

I assume by that that you are suggesting the whole thing's some sort of hoax; well, if so the Observer's in on it, having devoted almost a full page to reviewing it (very favourably).

cap n chris

Fulk said:
cap 'n chris quote:
1st April

I assume by that that you are suggesting the whole thing's some sort of hoax; well, if so the Observer's in on it, having devoted almost a full page to reviewing it (very favourably).

Clearly it's a hoax of some sort, or appalling taste and judgement if not; whatever next "Neil Moss: the musical"?

Fulk

I think that you'll find that tragedy has been turned into drama for a long time now; consider Shakespeare's Henty V, with the Battle of Agincourt ? all them Frogs dying for our delectation and delight. :tease:

Graigwen

I saw the show on Monday evening - the first musical I have ever been to see. I thought it was very good.

The sparse set composed of ladders and packing cases works well, with Floyd Collins spending most of the show "trapped" by one foot under the bottom rung of a ladder.  Cavers who like to crawl through chairs at the end of an evenings drinking will find the acrobatics of some of the cast familiar.

The plot is (understandably) a terse version of reality, and the cast is not huge with some individuals conflated or omitted; but it works well. I found the music very pleasant, although sometimes it drowns out the singing - the drums in particular were too loud. The acoustics of the vault do the production no favours and this was the only shortcoming.

Best of all - the theatre in a railway arch below London Bridge station smells of cave!

All in all, well worth seeing.