• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Is this one by " Our Amy " ?

The Old Ruminator

Photo in the UK press today by Amy in America.

P8310001.jpg

Amy

:clap:
If you have a spare copy or two I'd be much obliged if you'd send 'em to me...I can pay cost of 'em and shipping of course =)

Funny, Conrad had a look around at his supermarket as a layout I got was for page 12 of the Telegraph and it wasn't in the one they had there! Must have been wrong issue or something, or is this a different magazine/newspaper?

:D

rhychydwr1

"Our Amy" has taken over the centre fold in the August edition of the NSS News with some amazing photos of deep potholes.

?Our Amy? is a Master of Science and specializes in biochemistry and neuroscience research. She is also an avid caver and photographer and develops techniques to bring light to these  underground systems without the use of massive amounts of camera gear. Her photo gear fits into the size of two hands cupped together, weighs less than three pounds, and costs under $200, Having always enjoyed the worlds of both art and science, she endeavours to join the two in her photography and graphic design work. Her work has appeared on covers of multiple scientific journals including Neuroscience, international news stories, and other publications.

PHOTOS SHOWN:

1.  Surprise Pit, highlighting the 404 rig point, was taken from the landing zone itself looking upward, a unique angle for this pit. Used in the setup was $200 worth of gear that weighed less than three pounds: a small 6" tripod, a point and shoot camera, and a high-power LED light. By directing the climbers via radio during the typical rest breaks as to how to shine the light, the foggy "weather systems" of this pit were avoided, creating a clear crisp image in no longer than the time it takes someone to climb.

2. Sculpted floor features in Snail Shell Cave, TN, with Brian Stoltz

3. Panoramic HDR of Stephen's Gap Cave, Alabama, in full flood with a climber on rope. This image took about 30-40 shots to make.  She did this with a point and shoot, no tripod or anything.

4. Brian Stoltz climbing in the sun rays at Stephen's Gap

5. Light painted shot of Tin Y Manke rigging Mystery Falls

Amy

Thanks guys!  :beer:

shotlighter said:
Which planet is Sculpted Passageway on?
It's in SnailShell Cave in TN. I can take ya there if you ever want to go! One of my fave horizontal TAG caves. =) The upstream trip is fun too, we kayak up it! Or you can wetsuit swim it. But kayaking is more fun!!!

Fulk

Splendid pictures . . . . but I wouldn't want to carry (or somehow manoeuvre ? sorry Amy, maneuver) that bloody great coil of rope through, say, the Swinsto 'Long Crawl'!

bograt

Some things never change! I was probationary with CPC 30 years ago, you have my sympathies. ;) ;)

skippy

Are you still bleating because I made you carry the bag over the fell after that Red Moss trip Simon ;)

Amy

crickleymal said:
That's possibly the cleanest and whitest rope I've ever seen.
It was brand new 300ft of PMI EZ Bend Pit Rope. Lovely stuff. =) Rope has to be new at some point...it's not that white anymore! lol. That was it's virgin voyage =)

Fulk said:
Splendid pictures . . . . but I wouldn't want to carry (or somehow manoeuvre ? sorry Amy, maneuver) that bloody great coil of rope through, say, the Swinsto 'Long Crawl'!
It's not as bad as one would think. Slings over the head/shoulder cross body very easily. Very well balanced on the body hardly know it's there. I prefer carrying ropes in coils rather than bags since the weight gets distributed very well. Although we do bag sometimes, usually for longgggg ropes or if we have to push it through little crawls.

Mystery Falls before we release the water...the falls are just a trickle.

Mystery Falls, Top Down by Sunguramy [Amy Hinkle], on Flickr

Mystery Falls with the water flowing! Weeeeeee! It is a hurricane at the bottom!

Mystery Falls Waterfall 2 by Sunguramy [Amy Hinkle], on Flickr

Mystery from the bottom:

Mystery Falls Pit 3 by Sunguramy [Amy Hinkle], on Flickr

And again from the bottom, other side (it's 280ft although they resurveyed and say it's only 264ft or something like that, the old survey is off I guess)

Mystery Falls Pit 5 by Sunguramy [Amy Hinkle], on Flickr