• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

Wrath Sough lead mine

cavefinder

Not at the moment, I'm more interested in Wrath Sough lead mine . If any one knows anything about this mine I would be interested in any information.

(y)

AR

Ah, do you mean Wrathe/Raithe Sough down at Elton? If that's the one, I can't add anything to what Jim R put in his book, that it was driven to Raithe Rake. The barmaster's map shows it as a straight line going from the dale onto the end of Raithe Rake.

cavefinder

It's about 600mts from Dale End in Gratton Dale behind an old pump house that covers the sough ,the overflow just runs down the valley and dissapears. The mine looks as though it was a spar mine and ends in a run in from a shaft in the roof , although it could go on past the run in as the passage is a high rift passage that looks natural. Hope to have a poke in the near future too see.

AR

It very likely goes further, a quick check of Jim's book suggests it meets Raithe Rake then carries on to Smiling Fancy mine, though it was mentioned as run-in in the 1780s, so there could be quite a lot of digging!

cavefinder

Jims book sounds interesting. So what's the book called then and is it still available?  The only info I could find was on aditnow.co.uk. Do you know of any other sites that give information on mines in the area?

droid

Jim's done a 4-part trilogy called 'Lead Mining in Derbyshire'.

You want Vol3, Elton to Viaq Gellia

AR

If you don't fancy forking out for a copy, you can view it in the local studies libraries at Matlock and Sheffield. If you do want to buy it, try Mike Moore or the mining museum at Matlock Bath.  The info on AN probably came from the book in the first place....

JAM

Check out that nice little book shop in cromford, I picked up volume 2 and know it has copies of volume 3. 

paul

Jam said:
Check out that nice little book shop in cromford, I picked up volume 2 and know it has copies of volume 3. 

That will be "Scarthin Books" you're referring to.

JAM

Yes, that would be correct. I was attempting not to advertise, thought you mods might have something to say about it.  ;)

Speleokitty

About 50m of Wrathe Sough is accessable from a shallow shaft just above the pumphouse. We put a steel lid on the shaft when we opened it up in the 1990's but its possible it has been covered by leaves and scree since then. If you are really interested then I could show you the shaft but it is s a pretty unpleasent place with lots of "liquid toadstone" to crawl/swim through. In one place there were the remains of some rather badly  decomposed wooden rails so some care is needed.

Where we stopped digging the limestone roof showed signs of solution in the joints and large several blocks had dropped out of the roof. Further excavation would need some major support if you can even find a solid floor. It has to be one of the most unpleasent Sh**hole I have ever been in.

cavefinder

Thanks for the offer of showing us where the shaft is but at the moment we are going to concentrate on poking in the roof at the end of the passage. It makes a change to have a dry dig.
    Cheers  M.              (y)

cavefinder

Last time we went to have a look to see what we needed to have a poke there was a major collapse/run in at the end where the ramp was and now there is a voice connection with the surface down a small hole that has opened up on the surface just above the entrance. Also a large hole has appeared on the surface just before the wall at the top, Put a couple of dead branches over it but it's still dangerous as the bank is undercut. This seems to have run in after the original blockage and could by pass the blockage. Probably best to let it finish settling on its own until the wet weather is over

Speleokitty

Cavefinder

Are we actually talking about the same place? Wrathe Sough is behind the pumphouse in the bottom of Gratton Dale where the water comes out of a pipe.

Julie

nigel n

The dig that cavefinder is talking about is to the right of your shaft as you stand on the path looking at the pumphouse.  It is also much higher up the hillside, above some old grassed over spoil heaps.  It is obviously not a sough but is was probably worked as part of the same mine

Speleokitty

I think I know where you are talking about although I don't think it has anything to do with the sough. Its a much more pleasent place to dig than in  the sough though.

There is another interesting potential dig site further towards Pikehall at about the same height above the valley floor but it takes a bit of finding.

Julie