• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

Oxlow/Maskhill System Survey?

pwhole

Does anyone know of the existence of a detailed survey of the Oxlow/Maskhill system? Not the usual simple plan view attached to the Giant's survey, but a good elevation (and plan!) that includes the other stuff - Jim's Crawl, New Oxlow Series, connections back to West Chamber roof, etc.? I had a quick shufty up the rope at the head of the 3rd pitch in Oxlow the other day, onto the large rock bridge that overlooks the East Chamber. There's another rope rigged up what looks like a natural shaft on the right - where does that go? Presumably not very far...? Didn't really have time to keep going, and wasn't sure how secure the top fixtures were either.

Also other workings in Maskhill not on the usual rigging route? Someone tells me that the original route down Maskhill many years ago was very different to the current one, and I'd like to know a bit more about that, and particularly if any horizontal/pipe leads were ever discovered? I have a feeling there could be old stuff buried in the TSG Library, and will look when I have time, but it would be nice if anyone had one handy - if it exists, of course? Paper or digital.

Pitlamp

If only Keith ("Ben") Bentham was still with us; I'm sure he could have answered many of your questions admirably.

There is in existence a large scale Eldon survey (originating from the likes of, I think, Deakin & Gill et al) which I've certainly seen in the TSG library in the past. Obviously this doesn't show more recently discovered stuff but it's probably a good starting point. Might be worth a word with someone like Bob Dearman for advice? He'll have a good idea of the more important events since then and maybe where to locate further details.

John B

Hi PW

I am sure that I have a copy of the old BSA survey of Oxlow, though I don't think there is a survey of the New Series (ie Pilgrim's Way to North Pitch etc) other than the Eldon one.

I will have a look and let you know. There is certainly a drawing somewhere of Coconut Airways (the roof of West Chamber) done by Ben.

Cheers
John

John B

Found it! Mike Midgley redrew it from the original Eldon material and updated it in 1983.
I have the transparency so could do a print. It needs redrawing in CAD now. If someone could add the most recent additions to Jim's Crawl etc it would be good.
Oxlow.jpg

Scud

Pitlamp said:
If only Keith ("Ben") Bentham was still with us; I'm sure he could have answered many of your questions admirably.

There is in existence a large scale Eldon survey (originating from the likes of, I think, Deakin & Gill et al) which I've certainly seen in the TSG library in the past. Obviously this doesn't show more recently discovered stuff but it's probably a good starting point. Might be worth a word with someone like Bob Dearman for advice? He'll have a good idea of the more important events since then and maybe where to locate further details.

The survey was in the TSG library, the last time i saw it which isn't long ago.

pwhole

Wow! That's more like what I was after, certainly! Thanks John - much appreciated.

And I see the mystery shaft in the East Chamber roof is still a mystery - better get myself up there again and have another look. There were some clanky old hangers up there, but a fairly new 10mm Petzl hanger too, and the rope didn't look too bad...

I haven't had chance the check the library yet, as I think there may be an old Maskhill survey by Les Salmon up there too, but I will.

I have the cross section of the Salmon survey - showing Oxlow and Maskhill (c.1952) Not exactly up to date but a very nice survey

oxlow.jpg

bograt

Pitlamp said:

Didn't he call it "Coconut Airway's" ?.(West  chamber traverses)

Pitlamp

Yes but with no apostrophe, I think. There were lots of other things Ben pushed in there though. Talk about dedicated . . . .

SamT

pwhole said:
And I see the mystery shaft in the East Chamber roof is still a mystery - better get myself up there again and have another look. There were some clanky old hangers up there, but a fairly new 10mm Petzl hanger too, and the rope didn't look too bad...

Be worth chatting to Dan and Jon Pembo/James Wood ...  They were digging the end of Jims crawl a year or two back, and I'm sure they looked around at the stuff above there.

pwhole

I will indeed check with them - that LS survey is beautiful, and very informative. First cross-sections I've ever seen, which is nice...