• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Cleaning undergarments

free2cave

Does anybody know how to get the brown tinge out of your clothes after you have been caving?

Most powders ive tried just dont work

Cheers

Amy

Spot Shot. Don't know if its available there. Anyways, it's a happy reminder. Give up getting stains out. If it bothers you that much buy black undies :p

jarvist

free2cave said:
Does anybody know how to get the brown tinge out of your clothes after you have been caving?

I don't think it's possible - that's not staining, it's bits of fine clay embedded in the fabric. Detergent or bleach isn't going to do much, just water and mechanical action.
Also - be careful washing heavily soiled items with anything else - you can just end up transferring the grit to your other garments within the washing machine.

cap n chris

Self-respecting cavers know full well not to expect any of their garments to be a colour other than clay-tinge. If you ever get them spanking sparkling ever again (which I doubt very much indeed - clay doesn't wash out) do let us know how you managed such a miracle.

Elaine

Yes, I think we have all been there and learned the hard way the lesson not to wear nice white panties on caving trips!

langcliffe

I'm really not with this discussion. I've been caving in the same kecks for 45 years, and never felt the need to wash them.

andys

I was horrified when the missus once washed my caving shreddies. But not a horrified as she was when she saw what it had done to her smalls in the same load!