• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

Are the Mendips about to become a Gas Field?

gonzo

The Government has granted PEDL licenses (Petroleum Exploration and Development License) to UK Methane for Unconventional Gas Extraction (Fracking) in Somerset.
These licenses cover much of the Mendips and surrounding area.
UK Methane have declared Ston Easton and Compton Martin (north Mendips) as areas that they intend to test drill and the likelihood is that they will be targeting coal bed methane from the Somerset Coalfield, part of which runs beneath the north flank of the Mendips, while also assessing the viability of fracking for methane from the shale.
Much of the rest of Mendip is also within the area covered by the licenses.
UK Methane encountered strong opposition to their plans to drill in Keynsham (BANES) and withdrew their application.
Now their target area seems to be just over the boundary here, in the region managed by Somerset County Council.
The potential hazards associated with drilling for methane in an area riddled with abandoned coal mines, closely associated with a caving region, a major fault and a water supply for Bristol and the surrounding area will not be lost on cavers.
The possibility of endangering the hot springs in Bath and Hotwells (water for which is believed to originate in this area) by pollution or compromise of the hydrostatic head (each well requires around 500,000,000 gallons of water, salts, lubricants and other chemicals to be pumped in, extracted and ?disposed of?) is a serious issue, as is more widespread pollution as, to make it profitable, there could be hundreds of wells in the area if extraction is deemed commercially viable.
With industrialisation of this beautiful rural area, roads jammed with tankers 24 hours a day, the risk of air, land and water pollution, interception of water supplies, well documented health risks associated with fracking and the likelihood that property prices will be drastically reduced there is great concern in the area.
For more information and to sign a petition if you have concerns visit www.frackfeesomerset.org

bograt

Although this is a "Government License", are there any local planning permission hoops they have to jump through? maybe this could be our lifeline?
After all, the locals are supposed to know more about the impact on their area than the twazzocks in Westminster. (apart from the local MP that is)

gonzo

It is my understanding that the final decision will be taken by Somerset County Council and, as councillor Harvey Siggs didn't mention Unconventional Gas Extraction in his leaflet at this month's elections, said at a recent Ston Easton and Clapton parish council meeting that he'd hardly heard of Fracking until recently, and Fracking doesn't even appear if you do a search on Somerset County Council website www.somerset.gov.uk there is reason to be concerned as to whether or not this issue is in the hands of people who care about the future of the Mendips and surrounding area.
There was a meeting at Ston Easton Village Hall where local MP Tessa Munt (who is horrified by what is going on) urged people to get themselves organised, contact her, and their own MP, to make it absolutely clear what their views were. www.tessamunt.org.uk.
The more feedback she gets the more pressure she can apply in parliament.
There were similar worried responses from other meetings in the Mendip area.
When UK Methane apply formally for permission to drill (licenses have been granted but that is only the first step) it is my understanding that the public will have just three weeks to raise any objections.
They have to find a landowner who is happy to let them drill but, of course, money talks and the Government has the option of compulsory purchase.
George Osborne is offering tax incentives to people wishing to drill in the UK.
www.georgeosborne4tatton.com
North Somerset MP Jacob Rees-Mogg is all for the gas field on Mendip despite the fact that he grew up in Ston Easton and purports to represent the interests of the people of neighbouring North Somerset.
www.jacobreesmogg.com

bograt

Seems to me that someone needs to "rally the troops", educate the council members about the consequences of fracking ( plenty of info on line), Get a case organised on as many lines as possible (health, geology, effect on tourism, ground water, etc. etc.) and be ready to present the case when the application go'es in.
Fore-warned is fore-armed.
If local decisions are likely to be overturned by national government as Maj suggested, there's always the Media as a last resort.

ChrisJC

Weird beards the lot of you.

Presumably as part of your protest you will stop consuming oil, both for your vehicles and domestic heating and cooking?
Or is it OK provided it comes from some other part of the world?

Chris.

cavermark

ChrisJC said:
Weird beards the lot of you.

Presumably as part of your protest you will stop consuming oil, both for your vehicles and domestic heating and cooking?
Or is it OK provided it comes from some other part of the world?

Chris.

I think its ok wherever it comes from, IF the issues raised by Gonzo are addressed. Many other sources of oil and gas do not have these specific concerns (here they are again):
"The potential hazards associated with drilling for methane in an area riddled with abandoned coal mines, closely associated with a caving region, a major fault and a water supply for Bristol and the surrounding area will not be lost on cavers.
The possibility of endangering the hot springs in Bath and Hotwells (water for which is believed to originate in this area) by pollution or compromise of the hydrostatic head (each well requires around 500,000,000 gallons of water, salts, lubricants and other chemicals to be pumped in, extracted and ?disposed of?) is a serious issue, as is more widespread pollution as, to make it profitable, there could be hundreds of wells in the area if extraction is deemed commercially viable.
With industrialisation of this beautiful rural area, roads jammed with tankers 24 hours a day, the risk of air, land and water pollution, interception of water supplies, well documented health risks associated with fracking and the likelihood that property prices will be drastically reduced there is great concern in the area."

dunc

and the likelihood that property prices will be drastically reduced there is great concern in the area."
gonzo said:
but, of course, money talks
  :confused:

graham said:
Would those who object to wind farms on Mendip be happier with fracking?
FFS there is more to alternative power generation than wind. If all the people that advocated wind power as the be all and end all got together and breathed in unison instead of spouting about how great wind is then it would, no doubt, be significantly more viable as a power source!

Plant wind farms all over Mendip and reap the occasional benefits, oh, still need other forms of power, bit of fracking on the side then? Hmm, or maybe whack a great big bloody barrage across the Severn, ooh now there's a thread to debate  ;).

gonzo

In case you think this thread was instigated by a flip-flop-clad home-knitted eco-warrior I'll just point out that I'm your average, middle-aged (and uglier than most!) , hairy-arsed Mendip digger and don't have an agenda with wind farms, barrages or any other source of energy.
The issue here is not the merits of Unconventional Gas Extraction against other forms of energy generation but whether it is safe and appropriate in on near an AONB with specific geological issues that could have disastrous consequences for the surrounding area if pollutants leak out (which, according to numerous reputable sources including National Geographic they often do).
Applied Geologist Gareth Thomas has done a series of talks locally on the numerous hazards specific to drilling in this area.
I ran his points past 2 other geologists including our own Jim Hanwell and they both agree with Gareth's concerns wholeheartedly.
If you don't know what an Unconventional Gas Field looks like just google it - or at a glance there is one at http://blog.skytruth.org/p/about-skytruth.html
We're not talking about a small nodding donkey pumping bravely and majestically and flaring off in isolation behind the treeline above Chewton Mendip to serve the energy needs of a beleaguered community, we're talking about total industrialisation of the region and the associated consequences for the surrounding environment and infrastructure.

graham

dunc said:
FFS there is more to alternative power generation than wind. If all the people that advocated wind power as the be all and end all got together and breathed in unison instead of spouting about how great wind is then it would, no doubt, be significantly more viable as a power source!

As far as I know, nobody is arguing that wind is the be all and end all of alternative power generation, but I would like to see some of the NIMBYs who denigrate it describe what alternative, non fossil, power sources they actually do advocate.

NB I am not including Gonzo amongst the NIMBYs. Fracking is a potentially very serious problem.

Burt

The main problem I see with it is that it is irreversible; once all that water and stuff is in the ground it will be impossible to get it out. At least a windmill can be dismantled.

mikem

graham said:
As far as I know, nobody is arguing that wind is the be all and end all of alternative power generation, but I would like to see some of the NIMBYs who denigrate it describe what alternative, non fossil, power sources they actually do advocate.

NB I am not including Gonzo amongst the NIMBYs. Fracking is a potentially very serious problem.
Doesn't matter as long as it's NIMBY...

Mike

bograt

paul said:
Burt said:
At least a windmill can be dismantled.

Exccept for the very large concrete foundations?

They don't usually affect underground drainage, well water, thermal springs, tourist "industry", peoples health, etc. etc. - - - -.