Horizon Sinkholes

JasonC

An interesting half-hour program padded out to an hour with the posturings of the presenter...

But the cave-diving sequences were very nice

TheBitterEnd

Aren't all programs like that these days? None-the-less contained some interesting stuff such as one way all that mud gets into caves and brief mention of active deposition of calcareous mud.

Fulk

TheBitterEnd:
Aren't all programs like that these days?

I guess they've got to fill the schedules somehow ? and paying a professor to go swanning off round the world is probably cheaper than paying a whole bunch of actors to make a drama.

adep

It seemed to miss the point to me as to what causes the sink holes to collapse is in fact due to the shear weight of all the fat arse yanks sat on top

Andy Farrant

They went for the populist option of having a well known presenter go to look at some spectacular sites in Florida, but skipped most of the interesting science, and had no UK input, despite having plenty of information given to them (and not credited). Personally I though the whole thing was rather light-weight. they could have done so much more. There is far more to sinkholes than what was presented in that program.

Laurie

There's an excelent film of the Cenotes in Mexico.
I once got a copy off TV onto VHS. Don't know whether it's ever been otherwise available.

pwhole

I also thought it very lightweight, given the potential - it's not like Iain Stewart doesn't know his stuff, and it could have been far more techy without being introspective or less exciting for the non-techy types. Especially when it's bloody Horizon - it's meant to be more intellectual - that's the whole point. And I agree, whilst the diving footage was fabulous, it would have been far more useful for everyone in Britain to have been given more info on our sinkholes, as we're the ones who'll fall down them!

Good try, but I'd rather see an expanded version with the 'difficult' bits left in - if they ever scripted and shot those of course! Maybe I should just email this to him...