• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Jingling pot tree (trunk failure)

potholer

On Sunday (2/2/14), I noticed that one of the main trunks of the Jingling Pot tree was leaning and/or lying horizontally across the shaft - not the one people traditionally hung ropes off, but the trunk closest to Aquamole.
The trunk seems to have rotted/split upwards at the base and fallen over (IIRC, something similar happened to another trunk ~10 years ago).

Does anyone know if it's been like that for long?
I don't remember it being that way before Christmas, but possibly since I go down the route on the other side of the shaft, I hadn't looked.

Pete K

Can't help with the when but I've never been comfortable on those trees. They never inspired confidence.

Andyj23UK

had a club trip up there on 06th JANURARY 2013 and both tree trunks moved " alarmingly " in the high winds . 

now I am not advocating chopping trees down JUST because they are unsafe to belay off - as every comment or conversation about jingling includes the sentiment " I would not trust those trees "

but IF they are dead - would it not be prudent to remove them in a safe manner ? before they fall into the shaft - cos a tree at the bottom would be an embugarance to cavers - and a tree falling down while a party was in there would not be pleasant < understatement >

could the CNCC look into this - ie get an expert opionion on the viability / survivability of the trees - and if they can be saved take nessecary measures to satbilise them and protect them - if they are beyond redemption - get the land owners permission to fell them and set a team to remove them safely ?

Antwan

You would have to attend a CNCC meeting as apparently they don't do the Internet very well. I'm with you on taking them out before they take another caver out.

Did a fair bit of this stuff with the BMC in my climbing years, removing or re homing nuisance trees

potholer

I think that at least the trunk that is lying horizontally over the shaft doesn't need a professional to declare it past saving, though I guess making it safe would be best done by someone with experience, especially if the idea was to cut through it at its mangled base without dropping it all the way down the shaft.

Maj

A passing thought.
If it were to be agreed that action is required, could it be used as an exercise/demonstration in rigging/hauling by CRO? Participating cavers could then take sections of the tree off the fell for drying out and burning at club huts or at home. This would also then take away the temptation for someone passing by to push the trunk (or parts of) down the pitch.
Obviously only after appropriate permissions obtained.

Maj.

ianball11

I sent an email to the conservation officer of the cncc regarding this.  I received a reply saying that first a site visit will take place with a caver/arborist to determine best course of action.

Ian B.

potholer

That's good to hear.

If I were more local, I'd offer help, but I don't have much in the way of special skills.

Gollum

potholer said:
That's good to hear.

I don't have much in the way of special skills.

Don't put yourself down youth. Just because people say it, it doesn't always mean it's true  ;)

ahinde

The offending tree trunk has been removed from the shaft this evening. The immediate danger has been dealt with. The remaining trunks appear reasonably healthy. It is a tree in its late mature stage so vigilance is required. I would like to thank those cavers who brought this to my attention and, in particular, to Martin Holroyd for his professional services(freely given) at the end of a long days tree work elsewhere. There is more to sawing off the branch you are sitting on than meets the eye, a difficult job really well done.
The brash is stacked nearby and requires a volunteer or two to go up with a hand saw and loppers to reduce the branches into a "habitat pile " before some passing tourists throw it down the shaft.
Andrew Hinde
CNCC Conservation Officer

potholer

ahinde said:
The offending tree trunk has been removed from the shaft this evening. The immediate danger has been dealt with. The remaining trunks appear reasonably healthy. It is a tree in its late mature stage so vigilance is required. I would like to thank those cavers who brought this to my attention and, in particular, to Martin Holroyd for his professional services(freely given) at the end of a long days tree work elsewhere. There is more to sawing off the branch you are sitting on than meets the eye, a difficult job really well done.
That's great.

I'm sure a lot of people will be happy that the trunk has been dealt with so professionally and quickly.

bograt

Pitlamp said:
Robert Scott said:
Pitlamp said:
May be able to help - have sent you a PM.
Wood burning stove?

For "brash" . . . ?!

Cut it up small enough, bag it up, burns well on a woodburner, especially if its a good hardwood like Hawthorn.
Incidetally, research has been done and shows that the life expectancy of Hawthorn at 1000ft O.D. is approx. 150 years, our windbreaks, planted about 1870 have just started to fall over.

Pitlamp

If you offer to make umpteen trips up and down the hill with a big rucksack, I'll happily send it through my woodburner!

adep

What the hell is "an embugarance"??

Andyj23UK said:
had a club trip up there on 06th JANURARY 2013 and both tree trunks moved " alarmingly " in the high winds . 

now I am not advocating chopping trees down JUST because they are unsafe to belay off - as every comment or conversation about jingling includes the sentiment " I would not trust those trees "

but IF they are dead - would it not be prudent to remove them in a safe manner ? before they fall into the shaft - cos a tree at the bottom would be an embugarance to cavers - and a tree falling down while a party was in there would not be pleasant < understatement >

could the CNCC look into this - ie get an expert opionion on the viability / survivability of the trees - and if they can be saved take nessecary measures to satbilise them and protect them - if they are beyond redemption - get the land owners permission to fell them and set a team to remove them safely ?