Guidebooks and updates?

MartinKocsis

I've been out of caving for many years now, but I'm interested in finding out what developments there have been in the Dales. I did quite a bit of digging back in the day with ULSA (Ireby, Penyghent, Echo etc) and would love to see what has become of some of these digs and caves.

Climbing guides get updated all the time, so I'm hoping there will be some more recent caving guides than 1991 that I can get hold of.

Les W

MartinKocsis said:
... I'm hoping there will be some more recent caving guides than 1991 that I can get hold of.

We're all hoping, but unfortunately there aren't, yet, although I do believe there is a project to update and publish some at some point.

The 1991 guides are quite valuable now as they are out of print and fetch silly money on Ebay and the like...  :confused:

blackholesun

Martin, did 'Not for the faint hearted' come out whilst you were still caving? That covers two of the caves that you've mentioned, a selection of other harder Dales caves and is an excellent guide.

Beardy

Hey Ping Ping -

long time no see ;-)

fancy a trip sometime?

As mentioned you'd love the http://www.notforthefaint-hearted.co.uk/

It should keep you occupied until the next series of Northern Caves is published
The first of the series is getting closer to completion and should be out later this year if all goes to plan....

Beardy

MartinKocsis

Aha!

The bearded font of all knowledge is here! Hey, it has been a long time...probably about as long as it's taken a new set of guides to get published!

As to whether I fancy a trip...I'm not so sure. I prefer to climb up the outside of rocks these days rather than squirm about inside them. I haven't been down a cave since the tragedy of Lost Johns in '93 to be honest.I think I prefer to lurk, although if you fancy a climb, then I'd be up for that.

Are you involved in the guides?

Antwan

Are you looking for a new guide book project Martin?  :LOL:never knew you used to cave, learn something every day  :sneaky:

MartinKocsis

Hi Antwan, I was in ULSA from about '89-'93, happy days: Jon Watt, Beardy, Bollox, Monico, Brocklebank etc. I can't remnember all the names but they were some wild days with two trips a week which usually involved digs, explosions, fireworks, no handed driving and beer. Lots of beer. And beards.

PS I am very much done with guidebooks, but I will happily buy these new ones when they come out.