• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Petzl Tikka won't switch off completely

kay

My petzl Tikka no longer switches off properly. When the switch is in the fully off position, the lights still glow very gently.
Left to myself, I'll probably use a knife to try and winkle all the gubbins out of the case, then prod and scrape in the area of the switch. Does anyone have any better ideas?

TheBitterEnd

It does sound like a dodgy contact could be the issue but it could also be a component breaking down. One option is to just take the batteries out when not on standby, it probably won't be drawing much current.

Les W

Have you got it wet?
I used to strip down my Petzl Myo and scrub the circuit board with a dry tooth brush.
When it got wet the heatsink rusted and the next time it got wet the water moved the rust onto the circuit board and bridged the tracks on the board and caused it to do all kinds of weird things. A quick brushing with a dry toothbrush usually solved it.

Just an idea...

Tangent_tracker

Defiantly sounds like it has got wet - lamps controlled by micro's require a minuscule current to actually tell the circuit to switch the lamp on!

kay

Yes of course I've got it wet! I use it as my back-up light and I cave in Yorkshire.

I usually open it up and take the batteries out as soon as I get home (if I don't, the batteries rust themselves to the terminals). OK, toothbrush it is.

Thanks, everyone.

Andyj23UK

KAY -  take the batteries out and leave the lamp - battery cover open on a sunny windowsill

its just a bit of water tracking across the switch

kay

Andyj23UK said:
KAY -  take the batteries out and leave the lamp - battery cover open on a sunny windowsill

its just a bit of water tracking across the switch

It's been open with the batteries out for the last several weeks. I suspect I should dry it in a drier room - the rust theory sounds convincing.

Tangent_tracker

It is not the water that causes the problems  directly, but the impurities water carries. If something has dried out and still faulty then there is a residue that has been left behind and / or some corrosion. Look on the board for unusual deposits.

Usually some IPA will clean the board nicely :)

kay

Many thanks for everyone's help. A gentle soaking in Great Douk followed by a baking on a sunny windowsill has sorted the problem nicely, without my having to dig too deep into its innards.