• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Google Street View

mrodoc

[gmod]Split from 'A new cave in Cheddar Gorge?' Topic http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=16781.0 [/gmod]

Les W said:
I think this is a Google street view of the site, obviously before any digging started...

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.287866,-2.751172,3a,75y,174.12h,82.42t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sx7RydHsvs-OUkeOdpfGsDw!2e0
Google obviously has money to burn as this is a fresh image of the gorge as my truck was in the RH car park last time I viewed Google Earth. I wonder how often they are updating and, why would they bother with somewhere like the gorge?

tony from suffolk

Well, looking on Google Earth there's been a suspicious white van parked down our lane for several months now but the police just aren't interested. No wonder people are losing trust in the constabulary!

Bottlebank

Someone's clever, looks like they flew over here about a year ago, but it was cloudy. It somehow knows and defaults back to the 2009 imagery.

Spike

mrodoc said:
Les W said:
I think this is a Google street view of the site, obviously before any digging started...

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.287866,-2.751172,3a,75y,174.12h,82.42t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sx7RydHsvs-OUkeOdpfGsDw!2e0
Google obviously has money to burn as this is a fresh image of the gorge as my truck was in the RH car park last time I viewed Google Earth. I wonder how often they are updating and, why would they bother with somewhere like the gorge?

A recent update to Google Maps allows you to see historical Street View imagery using the clock-like icon in the top left. There are two runs through the Gorge, July 2011 and March 2009 - simply move the slider to the latter and click the magnifying glass and your truck will be restored in all its former glory.

I don't know how quick they get the new images up though - if it's only changed recently to show the 2011 image, I may have to wait a while to see the result of me following one of the Googlemobiles around Bradley Stoke earlier this year...

tony from suffolk

That's interesting. The area around Derwentwater in the Lake District (where I frequent) shows it was last updated in 2004, yet just a small distance either way the image was updated in 2013. Wonder what Keswick did to upset the Google people?

Bottlebank

That was my point about Google being fairly clever - the cloud covered 2013 imagery of my house is there, but because it was cloudy they've set the default view back to 2009 so you only see it if you use the historical clock icon and move forward.

Unless it's done manually something in the software must recognise a shot is cloudy?

Bit of a bugger really as I wanted to see what the new offices in the garden looked like from the air!

Antwan

Back in the 80's a company made a computer that could recognise and sound an alarm when it spotted other tanks on the battle field, what they didn't realise at the time was....

The pictures of tanks hidden/ operating in the field was done on a cloudy day

The pictures with no tanks was done on a cloud free day

So as you might have guessed this amazing early warning software beeped at clouds, not tanks

Spike

Bottlebank said:
That was my point about Google being fairly clever - the cloud covered 2013 imagery of my house is there, but because it was cloudy they've set the default view back to 2009 so you only see it if you use the historical clock icon and move forward.

Unless it's done manually something in the software must recognise a shot is cloudy?

Bit of a bugger really as I wanted to see what the new offices in the garden looked like from the air!
Easy, grab yourself a drone, fit a camera, fly it over your house on a good day, then use PTGui to stitch it all together. Cuts Google or the loop altogether and will be higher resolution too...

S'not Streetview though - for that you need lots of cameras in a pod atop your car/rucksack etc and I believe Photosynth should be able to put the results together in a 3D viewer.

Do let us know how you get on!  :p