• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

ancient harness?..

frank

My Petzl caving harness is ancient ?20 years old? It hasn't been used that much and doesn't show any signs of damage? but how safe is it?.? Would be nice to get a good scientific answer from someone academic as well as some forumy sarcasm from armchair theorists?.Petzl say 10 years?but is this just like an expiry date on cheese?
If someone academic wants to test it I may make it available ?.

tamarmole

In all probability your harness is still good to go providing it has been well looked after.  However the fact that you are asking the question suggests that you have doubts about the harness.  If you do not have 100% confidence in your vertical kit you probably shouldn't be using it.  A new harness would set you back ?50 - ?60 which really is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

caving_fox

The only way to know how safe it is, is destructive testing on BobM's rope drop rig. I wouldn't use it afterwards!

Buy a new one.

Bottlebank

tamarmole said:
In all probability your harness is still good to go providing it has been well looked after.  However the fact that you are asking the question suggests that you have doubts about the harness.  If you do not have 100% confidence in your vertical kit you probably shouldn't be using it.  A new harness would set you back ?50 - ?60 which really is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Agreed, that's exactly how I decide when to buy a new one.

Mark Wright

The 10 year 'expiry date' on all Petzl products which are either predominantly textile or plastic is mainly an arse covering excersize on the part of the manufacturer due to the possibilities of degradation through UV. I know we don't get much UV in the UK let alone underground but it would be inadvisable to extend the life expectancy of any product beyond what the manufacturer recommends. Most other manufacturers would apply a 5 year life expectancy for textile products.

In the industrial rope access industry, extending the life of any product beyond the manufacturers recommendations would render any insurances invalid in the unlikely event of an accident which can be directly attributed to the failure of the e.g. harness. I would imagine the BCA insurance policy would be the same. If you were an insurance provider looking at a potential ?5M claim being made you would be making every effort to get out of it. Using a 20 year old harness would be an ideal way for our insurance providers to 'get out of it' and don't think for one minute that this wouldn't happen.

In response to caving_fox, the only way to know how safe the harness is, is by carrying out a thorough visual and tactile examination in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturer. A 20 year old harness would fail this examination regardless of its condition.

Apart from it not being practical to do a drop test of a caving harness on the BCA drop test rig it wouldn't provide any useful information. As with any type of destructive testing, it has to be scientific and above all else, repeatable. None of the testing carried out on the BCA drop test rig is scientific or repeatable.     

Cheers,

Mark