• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Mammoth Cave, Western Australia

The Old Ruminator

last year i visited lake cave. the photos are here somewhere. this wa limestone is a little over one million years old and was formed as dunes when the sea level was much lower.
the stal active phase seems to have passed as most formations are fairly dry now.mammoth cave is so called due to its huge size. the showcave conversion has been tastefully done. perhaps we shall see similiar one day in another little cave i know well.

Roger W

Good to see your photo-uploading finger is still in working order!

That 3rd photo is interesting, where the stalagmites look to be some way out of the vertical.  I'm presuming that the rock they are standing on has moved - or is it some OR photo trickery?

I expect the mods will move this lot somewhere else though - it's not really about tackle or technique...

The Old Ruminator

hooray a response.

job to know where to put some foreign stuff. i thought it more photo orientated than expedition.

in both lake and mammoth there are lots of huge fallen blocks with non vertical formations. i assume the stal building era was a long time ago in a different climate as many formations are getting quite inactive now. its interesting to learn about the limestone only being just over a million years old and originating not from water sedimentation but from wind. i think the present caves are much the same age as mendip caves at about 300,000 years old. anyway it was a family trip and this was all i was allowed.

DannyW

mrodoc said:
I did some trips with Wasg into strongs Easter and crystal 10 years ago. Excellent!

That cave is amazing ! its very dry now tho, the older members have some great storys of when it was wet, a couple of ducks and even an area that was dived.