Coming soon: Underwater Potholer by Duncan Price

Duncan Price

SHAMELESS PLUG - It gives me great pleasure to announce that my book "Underwater Potholer - a cave diver's memoirs" will be published by Whittles Publishing in March/April 2015. The publishers are offering a pre-publication discount for advance orders, details of which and the blurb to accompany the book are to be found here

Duncan Price

EwanCameron said:
Can we get it at any shops in the peak ?

I provided the publishers an extensive list of suppliers who might be interested in stocking copies when it comes out.  They will be sent trade information and it is up to them if they wish to carry the book.  I should be available via any good bookshop (though you might have to order it) or you can pre-roder it direct from the publisher yourself.

I spoke to a local inland dive centre recently and I see that they already have it on their website.

EwanCameron

Cool hitch and hike may have some they always have good caving books in

May well just pre order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Old Ruminator

i hope he mentions his pathetic attempt at cheering me up when my hand was squashed. :LOL:

its ok i am a doctor

er a doctor of chemistry or whatever.

the other bloke was a vet and he asked me to stick my tongue out.

i must admit i had to laugh ------ eventually

Duncan Price

The Old Ruminator said:
i hope he mentions his pathetic attempt at cheering me up when my hand was squashed. :LOL:

its ok i am a doctor

er a doctor of chemistry or whatever.

see Chapter 19.

The Old Ruminator said:
the other bloke was a vet and he asked me to stick my tongue out.

I thought Rob felt your nose to see if it was wet...

Pitlamp

Perhaps we can support Duncan by asking if our usual caving gear outlets intend to stock the book? If they realise there's demand they may get supplies in.

Joe90

I'm getting one of those kindle book things in a few days. Is the book available to buy on that?

Duncan Price

Pitlamp said:
Perhaps we can support Duncan by asking if our usual caving gear outlets intend to stock the book? If they realise there's demand they may get supplies in.

Thanks!  I hope that it lives up to everyone's expectations.

Joe90 said:
I'm getting one of those kindle book things in a few days. Is the book available to buy on that?

I asked the publisher about this.  They plan to release an ebook version of it in due course although the timing is not set.

underground

In my case JNC I would always support the author direct, but on the night in question I'd come home pissed up after a Christmas party and felt the need to place an order instantaneous-like.

rhychydwr1

UNDERWATER POTHOLER / a Cave Diver?s Memoirs by Duncan Price 2015  185 pp, 24 colour photos.  ISBN 978-184995-158-6  Whittles Publishing Ltd, Dunbeath.  ?18.99

I have always regarded caver divers as having a death wish.  This is confirmed by the loss of my numerous cave diving friends.  But Duncan and Co must be doing something right because after 30 year of cave diving they are still alive, why goodness knows because reading this book reveals a series of near disasters.

Duncan has been almost everywhere, cave diving in New Zealand, America, France, Mendip, Yorkshire etc.  Each trip was an adventure in itself, low on air, valves leaking, ropes and straps being caught up.  Then there is the complication of the gases used in diving.  Oxygen down to 6 metres, air down to 40 metres, then onto a mixture of air and helium.  The latter would be fatal on the surface.  But that is just going down.  Coming back up frequent stops are made to rid the body tissues of nitrogen.  Then a long stop at -6 metres on oxygen,  length of time depending on depth.  Would you trust a computer?  I don?t.  I am always surprised when mine fires up in the morning.  So how about a rebreather.  Runs on three mini computers and uses the caustic soda lime to scrub the exhaled air which will be used again.

But this is not an instruction book.  It is an full of amusing and not so amusing anecdotes, like the time he found a tick in his willy and the cave diver who went to Wookey 24 and let the air out of a rival?s bottle so he could pirate the dive.  Worth reading is the account of an escape from beneath a stately home.

The book is concluded with a glossary of cave diving terms.  Some might say that Duncan shows a degree of irresponsibility in his cave diving exploits.  Read this book and decided for yourself.

TO

Pitlamp

underground said:
In my case JNC I would always support the author direct, but on the night in question I'd come home pissed up after a Christmas party and felt the need to place an order instantaneous-like.

:LOL:

Incidentally I'm now partway through reading the book and really enjoying it.

Duncan Price

rhychydwr1 said:
UNDERWATER POTHOLER / a Cave Diver?s Memoirs by Duncan Price 2015  185 pp, 24 colour photos.  ISBN 978-184995-158-6  Whittles Publishing Ltd, Dunbeath.  ?18.99

Tony - thanks for your postive review.  I haven't actually cave dived in New Zealand - that was Martyn Farr who obliged me with an introduction.  I would also add the the vast majority of the 800+ cave dives I've done have been unventful and my publisher asked me to leave out the boring bits and spice up the more dramatic moments.  185 pages of "Went down cave, dived sump, came out & went to pub." could have been rather tedious.  I can also assure readers that dying underwater, in a cave, is the last thing I want to do.