• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Sink Holes

Tommy

That's a whopper! Wonder what the value of the surrounding property is now ;)

On the subject of sink holes, is the Foolow hole filled in yet? Any mine or civil engineers know how long something that size will take to settle?

Mark

Tommy said:
That's a whopper! Wonder what the value of the surrounding property is now ;)

On the subject of sink holes, is the Foolow hole filled in yet? Any mine or civil engineers know how long something that size will take to settle?

Yes it is very nearly full.

Roger W

The Foolow hole...  what have they been using to fill it in?

I've no doubt it would take a heck of a lot of household waste, dead sheep and old cars, but I'm sure there must be regulations somewhere saying what can and cannot be used to fill in a hole like that.

nickwilliams

They refer to it as an 'engineered fill' - basically they've put big rocks at the bottom and smaller ones on top.

bograt

nickwilliams said:
They refer to it as an 'engineered fill' - basically they've put big rocks at the bottom and smaller ones on top.

No doubt hoping the larger ones will jam and allow the rest of the filling, thereby leaving the potential for another collapse!.
Location should be carefully mapped and recorded, so if underground explorers come anywhere close from underneath, they know what to expect.

bograt

Sorry, cross-purposes here, I was talking about Foolow, as I thought Nick, Roger, Mark & Laurie were?.