• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

How to repair a yellow suit

Sam_litten

Anyone got any good advice on how to repair a yellow suit, what glue to use etc...
Got several tear's and split seams that need patching. I've got spare material and Had a few attempts at sticking it but keep failing

Pete K

Lightly sand to create a key.
Really clean, really dry.
Use Aquasure or a similar brand. Takes ages to dry but is like solid rubber when it does.
Big rips or seams want stitching with tough cord or fishing line first.
Consider patching on both sides.

I've had a Meander suit get to the point it was more patch than original, they get stiff but with care the suit should last until it falls off you.

JasonC

Aquasure is expensive, so to make the most of it, I'd do one patch at a time, making sure the material is on a flat surface, with a weight on the glued patch.  Put a sheet of newspaper between the weight and the patch so that former doesn't get stuck to the latter by glue seepage.

This is based on experience!  Not being patient, and trying to patch several tears at once, I didn't manage to get all the patches properly flat and weighed down.  And one that I did, stuck to the breeze block I had used, which partly broke the seal when it was removed.  As a result, they didn't last long :(

Pitlamp

Technically, Aquasure is a repair compound, not a cement. It is also excellent, if used well.

There's some good advice above but I'd add:

* Clean the area with an organic solvent cleaner first (after first roughening with sandpaper, to provide a key, as suggested).

* If supporting a tear with stitching then applying a bead of Aquasure, first apply a strip of adhesive tape on the inside to prevent the viscous liquid from slowly flowing through tiny gaps (as removal of set Aquasure from a carpet is a real drag . . . .).

* Don't make the bead of Aquasure too thick - this would reduce flexibility of the repaired area, eventually leading to cracking of the repair compound - probably resulting in further tearing.

* The advice above about flattening the area is very important because Aquasure has a habit of running off the repair area as soon as you turn your back. The advice about doing one repair at once is good. If it's impossible to lay our the repair area perfectly flat (e.g. a curved seam) then you need to make several thin applications of Aquasure, allowing each one to set first. This game of patience can be made easier by purchasing an accelerating compound which needs to be mixed with Aquasure. I've never tried this (as it sounds messy) but I know others who have, apparently with good results.

* If applying a patch, use the purpose designed PVC cement. Roughen & (solvent) clean both suit and patch. Use cement as per instructions on tin / tube. Place patched area between two thick pieces of wood and compress overnight in a vice.

The above has given me very good results but I admit I've never actually tried Braveduck's suggestion, which (knowing him) is also probably good advice.

Finally, as with the repair of all caving equipment, the old adage "A stitch in time saves nine" definitely applies.

Good luck!

caving_fox

I use a PVC g;ue - some came with the suit originally but you can also get a shoe repair glue that works well.

Newspaper, patch glue suit glue patch newspaper board Clamp overnight. Is how I do it, seems to work well. Seams are trickier but Usually patch across them as above. Keeping it flat is key and clamping the board over the patch works well.

Eventually whole areas start getting thin, at which point I replaced it.

Bottlebank

caving_fox said:
I use a PVC g;ue - some came with the suit originally but you can also get a shoe repair glue that works well.

Newspaper, patch glue suit glue patch newspaper board Clamp overnight. Is how I do it, seems to work well. Seams are trickier but Usually patch across them as above. Keeping it flat is key and clamping the board over the patch works well.

Eventually whole areas start getting thin, at which point I replaced it.

I use the adhesive which came with the meander suit, with good results. Seems similar to superglue.

Do it on flat surface as suggested but make sure the suit is warm and supple first. A warm sunny day is ideal.

Second use an alcohol cleaner to clean the suit and patch thoroughly before you start.

It was suggested that patching on the inside would give better results, and stop the patches from coming off. To be honest though I've found if patched right they stick well.

SamT

As above,

JasonC said:
  Put a sheet of newspaper between the weight and the patch so that former doesn't get stuck to the latter by glue seepage.

But also put newspaper inside the suit so that you dont glue the leg/arm together meaning you can no longer get your hand/leg down the hole.

Luckily I realized I'd done this before the glue had fully gone off.

Use round patches, or round the corners off square patches as this will lessen the chance of peeling in the future .

Blakethwaite

JasonC said:
Aquasure is expensive, so to make the most of it
I use StormSure which is a similar product but also (I think) marginally cheaper than Aquasure. Boyes sell it, for about ?2.99 for a 15ml tube, presumably other places do too.

Repairs to pretty much anything (wetsuits, cags, wellys, oversuits) prove more or less bombproof and invariably last far longer than the rest of the item!

Pitlamp

There you go Sam - with all this sound advice there's no excuse for turning up in a tatty oversuit!

;)

Bottlebank

Pitlamp said:
There you go Sam - with all this sound advice there's no excuse for turning up in a tatty oversuit!

;)

Looking at the two Meander suits hanging up in my drive I wonder if he wants some practice?

potholer

Good pressure definitely seems to help with some glues.

I've had success in the past using a decent-sized vice, newspaper and blocks of wood - after putting a piece of newspaper each side of the material, it's easy to concentrate the force you apply by having a pad of folded newspaper to match the patch placed over it, then sandwich the whole thing between a couple of short planks and stick in a vice.

For field (or at least campsite) repairs, if you have a couple of short pieces of wood and a convenient vehicle, you can get away without the vice.

Especially if using asymmetric patches, it can help to draw around them on the suit after cutting them out, and put some registration marks on them and the suit to help patch placement after glue application.

Sam_litten

Great advice guys thanks, I've used both stormsure and aquasure to patch small holes but never as a cement to stick large patches. Will give it a go