• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

PMR radios - any recommendations?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Just about to buy six PMR radios for a caving project - big caves, line of sight etc.  There seem to be quite a number of options, Motorola, Cobra, etc.  Anyone offer any recommendations or advice before I buy.

As these will be used abroad I'd like the option of using normal batteries.  Also I'd prefer some resistance to damp and general robustness if that is possible.  Cheers

Duncan S

If you are in Mendip sometime, then I have a set of 4 Motorola Tlkr T80 Extreme you are welcome borrow for a look and try them out.

The T80 Extreme seems nicely constructed and I've no reservations about my plans to use them in the wetter chambers.
The rechargeable batteries can be swapped with just a coin and they are capable of taking 4 AAA batteries.
They can be also used hands-free with the included headset, which may prove useful.
I've used a pair of Tlkr T5s for many years above ground and they have been bomb proof.

Wayland Smith

You have probably done this allready, but.
If going abroad (out of the EU) I would carefully check local laws and frequencies.
You don't want to get arrested as spys!  :eek:

alanw

The standard radio in the BPC is a Baofeng UV-5RA. Seems to have been superseded by the UV-5RB. About ?25 on eBay

shotlighter

alanw said:
The standard radio in the BPC is a Baofeng UV-5RA. Seems to have been superseded by the UV-5RB. About ?25 on eBay
How many BPC members are licensed to use these & on what frequencies?
They are illegal for use on UK PMR 466 frequencies, except possibly to listen. The rest of their coverage requires a license if they're to be used to transmit in the UK.

blackholesun

Shotlighter might have a point:

The Baofeng's operate at 136-174 MHz and 400-480 MHz. If they're programmed to be used on the PMR466 frequencies, which are all 466.something MHz then they're fine. If not, then the use of them is not lawful.

Also, they emit at either 4 W or 1 W, whereas you're only allowed to use 0.5W on PMR446 without a license. This stops people constructing  hugely powerful pmr446 radios and ruining those frequencies for miles around them.

Underground, there's obviously no risk of being caught with the 'wrong' radio.
Overground, there's very little risk of being charged over a radio that's half a watt too powerful
However, if you use the wrong frequencies, such as the emergency services ones, it could greatly annoy some people.

nickwilliams

The point made by Wayland Smith is not insignificant either. I was once arrested by customs in Dubai on my way back from Mulu because I had a satellite phone and a pair of PMR466 radios in my hand luggage.

peterk

I assume that posts questioning the legality of hand held PMRs are based on this:
5. RADIO EQUIPMENT
PMR 446 radio equipment must be handportable, have an integral antenna, have a maximum ERP of 500 mW and be compliant with ETS 300 296.

PMR 446 radio equipment must use the above frequencies only. Radio equipment which can operate on any other frequency, including Short Range Business Radio (SRBR) equipment capable of using frequencies in the 461 MHz band, must not be used for the PMR 446 service.

extract from http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra357.htm

shotlighter

peterk said:
I assume that posts questioning the legality of hand held PMRs are based on this:
5. RADIO EQUIPMENT
PMR 446 radio equipment must be handportable, have an integral antenna, have a maximum ERP of 500 mW and be compliant with ETS 300 296.

PMR 446 radio equipment must use the above frequencies only. Radio equipment which can operate on any other frequency, including Short Range Business Radio (SRBR) equipment capable of using frequencies in the 461 MHz band, must not be used for the PMR 446 service.

extract from http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra357.htm
Thanks Pete, yes those are the problems with using non PMR466 radios on PMR 466 in the UK.
I did the post lastnight on my phone & couldn't figure out how to cut & paste stuff, due to old tired head :(
These cheap Beofeng things are becoming a bit of a scourge. Non radio minded folk think (not unreasonably) that because they can buy them in the UK, they can use them legally.
I've heard of people turning up with them on the 2m & 70cms amateur bands - & presumably also on such as emergency service frequencies etc., which could cause some serious problems.
In addition to "user ignorance",  I doubt that they're the most spectrally pure transmitters (given the price/power output), so the potential for interference to other services must be considerable.

shotlighter

braveduck said:
I repeat the BPC are not breaking any laws and any inferences to such will be deal with !
Original post read & noted BD. My last reply was of a more general nature - apologies if it appeared to be still aimed at your club.

RUSS B

Just follow up what Braveduck has said the BPC do not own any radios and therfor are definitely not breaking any rules or laws! Some individuals within the club may well own radios and what they do with these are nothing to do with the club, although I'm sure they will be using them within the law. Some of our members also have amateur radio liscences but I have no idea what radios they use...