• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Gaping Gill advice wanted

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Please help answer this question for a new member

aaronneilsmith said:
I wonder if any of you know if it is possible to do a 'round trip' from B Pot to GG to Mud hall then through Henslers and back to Bar Pot? cheers

Inferus

I've never done it the way asked, but have done it the other way round; along Hensler's to Mud Hall, to Main Chamber and back via South/South-East Passage. A great little trip that everyone should have under their belt!

The Braemoor site gives a very good description (inc. survey) of the trip, that is doing Hensler's first, which is probably the best way round: http://www.braemoor.co.uk/caving/route10.shtml

ianball11

Hensler's, I regard that as not unlike a homophone  :-\

The Braemoor guide (and website as a whole) is superb.

Fulk

I've never done the trip (either way), but isn't it 'Mud Hensler's' rather than 'Long Hensler's' (the original Hensler's Crawl) that goes from Hensler's Master Cave to Mud Hall?

Inferus

Oh, just the way I read it.  ::)

I might be wrong but is it not Old Hensler's or Hensler's Crawl that exits from the Master Cave and what is followed (partly) to the base of Hensler's High Aven, which is the starting point of Mud Hensler's?  :doubt:

ianball11

I've discussed this a few times.

I find it easier to discuss it as leading from Hensler's Master Cave (HMC).

So:

HMC to the Blowhole is Hensler's Upper Passage
HMC to the static sump is Hensler's Stream Passage
HMC to South East Passage is New Hensler's
HMC to Booth-Parsons Crawl is Hensler's Passage
HMC to East Passage is through Hensler's High Aven and Mud Hensler's*

then:

Hensler's High Aven to Booth Parsons Crawl is part of Hensler's Passage
Hensler's Long Crawl is a 'new' name for the northerly branch of Hensler's Passage, leading from a junction in Hensler's Passage to Hensler's High Aven.
Hensler's Crawl is an alternative 'new' name for Hensler's Passage.
Old Hensler's Crawl, the 1991 NC2 description of Hensler's Passage.
Hensler's Pot is a separate entrance, where the last pitch drops into Hensler's High Aven.
Short Hensler's is an alternative for New Hensler's.

I try to use the titles and names as given by the original explorers, but those names can become obscured by future finds as in the case of Hensler's Passage becoming obscured by the northerly branch leading to Hensler's High Aven. 
I hope the Gaping Gill resurvey project organised by Kevin Dixon will clarify the passages and how they were first named.