Author Topic: Eldon Hole - Trip Report  (Read 85738 times)

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, BBPC
Re: Eldon Hole - Trip Report
« Reply #525 on: May 19, 2017, 10:35:49 am »
So if the human bones pre-date Lloyds shaft account, what then

That's exactly what I've been pondering, but there's only one way to find out for certain what's at the bottom...

Online Speleotron

• obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #526 on: May 19, 2017, 10:41:44 am »
Would this be the first ever dig that navigates by the age of the human remains they find?
In search of taverns measureless to man

Offline Tangent_tracker

• DCC
  • player
« Reply #527 on: May 19, 2017, 11:48:46 am »
Fascinating, but equally sad that we'll likely never know the true story of what happened or who they were!
Olly.

Offline adam

• player
« Reply #528 on: May 19, 2017, 11:52:58 am »
There are two differing accounts of the first descent of Eldon Hole by George Bradley. One says that he reported finding animal bones and human remains at the bottom: http://www.countryimagesmagazine.co.uk/walking/walking-eldon-hole/

Another says that he went mad and died shortly afterwards without reporting what he had seen: https://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/assets/files/The Oracle/History and people/CaveRescueBeforeNeilMoss.pdf (PDF)

They also report the sponsor of the expedition as being either the Earl of Leicester or Henry Cavendish of Chatsworth House...

This descent took place in the late 1500's so could well have been before the supposed second shaft was covered over.

Offline alastairgott

• Excessive
  • junky
  • Live in Hope, Die in a Vein
    • CURB Hope Valley Parking Restrictions
« Reply #529 on: May 19, 2017, 12:11:25 pm »
Adam, I think you're first link may need a pinch of salt, given it says

In more modern times cave explorers have managed to clear most of the rocks dropped by inquisitive tourists. From the bottom of the pothole they found that Eldon Hole is linked to a complex system of underground passages.

Offline braveduck

• obsessive maniac
  • Digging Bucket maker.B.P.C. Little Green Men.
    • http://www.bpc-cave.org.uk
« Reply #530 on: May 19, 2017, 12:39:23 pm »
Those teeth are in better condition than mine !  ;D
Fantastic and intriguing ,keep digging and let me know if you need any new buckets and nets.

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #531 on: May 19, 2017, 01:34:19 pm »
Keep going to bedrock or water?

When I had been down there previously a significant amount of water was flowing down the wall at the bottom of the rubble slope, near the pull through for the up pitches and the abandoned backfilled shaft in the floor - that has to go somewhere

Offline adam

• player
« Reply #532 on: May 19, 2017, 04:11:09 pm »
Adam, I think you're first link may need a pinch of salt, given it says

In more modern times cave explorers have managed to clear most of the rocks dropped by inquisitive tourists. From the bottom of the pothole they found that Eldon Hole is linked to a complex system of underground passages.

Yes, that did raise a figurative eyebrow. However it's not completely fake news is it - modern cave explorers have been digging at the bottom on and off for quite a few years, and it has been dye traced to one of the Peak Cavern resurgences.

Online Speleotron

• obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #533 on: May 19, 2017, 05:42:55 pm »
On a bit of tangent, I've never really believed that the rocks down there are from a few drystone walls and a couple of cottages, there seems to be far too much for that. I wonder if old quarrymen used to dump waste down there?
In search of taverns measureless to man

Offline Over the Hill

• addict
« Reply #534 on: May 19, 2017, 05:45:49 pm »
Human waste looking at those bones.  :coffee:
NCC (45 years plus).

Offline Big Jim

• forum star
  • The Eldon, A.N.U.S & Derbyshire Bat Group
« Reply #535 on: May 20, 2017, 09:17:13 pm »
I think that finding human 'skelingtons' is really exciting news. Maybe next you can find some treasure that'll be worth shit loads and pay for the dig.... and the next dig, and the next dig..... :thumbsup: