• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

bethel quarry

Markie87

does anyone know if bethel quarry is still open? apparently it was on 01/05/2015 but i dont know if it still is...also i was wondering if gripwood or poulton are accessible or locked up. I went to westwood last year and the red door was locked but one of us just slipped through the rusty gash in the door and opened it from the inside for the others. it would be good to take a trip over there to check out bethel, gripwood and poulton but it would be a wasted trip if theyre all closed.

Bartleby

You fail to mention the welcome committee that met the people who visited on May 1st.  Personally i'd stay away......

Markie87

dunno, i heard it was one guy with a baseball bat telling them they are trespassing on one of the many days people have been down there while its been open but maybe hes just some lone nutter trying to scare people and doesnt actually own the place. even so bethel is just one of the places i wanted to know about.

Bartleby

From what i've read, there was alot more then telling by the gent with the bat.  There was actual physical bat on head contact. 

popeass1

Was the welcoming party at bethall or westwood? I've heard the locals are very twitchy around westwood.

Markie87

that was apparently at bethel. when i went to westwood there was a rusty hole by the red door so it was easy to get in and on the way some old lady walked past and knew what we were up to and didnt seem to care... infact she was talking to us for a while about how she used to work down there years ago in the enfield factory. not sure if the rusty gash is still there but it was big enough for one person to get through and unbolt the door once inside

Markie87

and if anyone goes over westwood could you let us know if the rusty gash in the agaric entrance is still open

Markie87

looks like bethel quarry may have its own version of the browns folly mine troll that lurks in the darkness waiting to pounce on unwanted visitors entering its lair....except this 1 has a baseball bat as well

Fulk

Just as a matter of interest, could someone fill us in on details of just what is under discussion here (and on another related thread)?

I guess that we?re talking of underground stone quarries, like the Box ones; are they in the same area? Is it the same sort of stone? Are they all separate, or interconnected? Are they owned by individuals / MOD or who? Have there always been access problems?

Is it the case that one of the quarries has been re-opened recently?

Incidentally, have they ever encountered natural passage in these quarries, which I believe are mined in some sort of limestone?

crickleymal

Fulk said:
Just as a matter of interest, could someone fill us in on details of just what is under discussion here (and on another related thread)?

I guess that we?re talking of underground stone quarries, like the Box ones; are they in the same area? Is it the same sort of stone? Are they all separate, or interconnected? Are they owned by individuals / MOD or who? Have there always been access problems?
Yes, yes, separate mostly, some were MOD mostly private, yes.

Is it the case that one of the quarries has been re-opened recently?
yes

Incidentally, have they ever encountered natural passage in these quarries, which I believe are mined in some sort of limestone?
[/quote]
No, wrong sort of limestone.

graham

Fulk

Thank you Graham.

One reason I asked is that I have a dim recollection of seeing (what I took to be) solution pockets along joints in the Box quarries, albeit small ones.

Blakethwaite

Fulk said:
Isn't that what they used to say about the N. Yorks Moors limestone?
Not exactly. There'd always been known accessible & inaccessible cave on the Moors. I think it was more the case that it was generally held that nothing as grand as the Excalibur streamway would be found.

Fulk

Thanks for directing my attention to those two articles, Graham ? I found them very interesting, especially the first.

And Blakethwaite:
There'd always been known accessible & inaccessible cave on the Moors. I think it was more the case that it was generally held that nothing as grand as the Excalibur streamway would be found.

That sounds more plausible than what I said; I guess you'd be pleased as Punch to find something like the Excalibur Streamway in the Dales, Mendips, Derbyshire ? or anywhere.