Britain Beneath your Feet on BBC1 now

mikem

Includes Gaping Ghyll descent - "more people have summited Everest than abseiled in to GG".

Mike

Ha. He got a taste of sewer soup.

Good show.

Though the coal mining bit was a bit misleading, didn't really say when coal was last hand won. Tis all mechanised now. 

Is this a series or a one off? This one programme covered a lot. 

alanw

What a load of b*****ks. Three Counties system running from north of Kendal down to Blackburn? And a band of limestone running through the middle of the Lake District, where it's actually Borrowdale Volcanics and Skiddaw Slates? One kilometre crawling from GG Main Chamber to Bar Pot? More like 250 metres at most, and a lot of that is stooping. And as for the Everest and "fear factor" quotes, the least said the better.

Inferus

alanw said:
What a load of b*****ks. Three Counties system running from north of Kendal down to Blackburn? And a band of limestone running through the middle of the Lake District, where it's actually Borrowdale Volcanics and Skiddaw Slates? One kilometre crawling from GG Main Chamber to Bar Pot? More like 250 metres at most, and a lot of that is stooping. And as for the Everest and "fear factor" quotes, the least said the better.
Indeed. But this is aimed at the general public that wouldn't know the difference between limestone and volcanic and making things seem worse than they are is par for the course for added effect. I wouldn't expect anything else from mainstream media.

martinm

given its intended publlic, thought it was excellent. I  even learnt abiut Bath  Springs and an Castle  Rock annd a couple if mines...

Maj

I thought the individual items were okay too, even if it did jump around a bit.
It made a change to see GG shown with no winch set up as it usually is when a film crew go down. I felt generally they showed it how it is, they didn't over dramatise the dangers. Down the sewer they didn't cut out the bits when Dallas was retching, which gave a much better idea of how fowl it really was. But I was surprised that some facial protection wasn't worn to guard against splashes.
I found most of the rest of the programme interesting too.
(y)
Not sure why they included underground cricket, or what it added by flying in a straight line between the Mendips and Bath.

If I heard correctly, next week it will be screened at 7:30pm????

Maj.

And

It was interesting but riddled with inaccuracies. The highlight was when the presenter was on the potters wheel as it looked like he was humping a table  ;)

Fulk

Frankly, I was rather dismayed to see the presenter (who seemed to be quite enthusiastic) being more fired up than the cave diver.

pwhole

It's basically the same programme as 'Underground Britain' that was on Channel 5 recently - and the presenter seems to be a clone of the other guy who did that one. Ah well, I guess it's a start. Maybe the 'Great British Cave-Off' will be next to slither off the production line. But yes, I guess it is aimed at the general public, and if it gets a few more folks underground that can't be a bad thing. It's just that I find the general public hard enough to deal with on the surface, never mind underground...