• The Derbyshire Caver, No. 158

The latest issue is finally complete and printed

Subscribers should have received their issue in the post - please let us know if you haven't. For everyone else, the online version is now available for free download:

Click here for download link

Caving - How many Lumen for a light is enough?

Bloke28

Just thought I'd see what people use in their cave expeditions..
Do you use a hand torch or head lamp?
and
What strength in lumen (brightness) is necessary?

Will happily accept recommendations for brand or models of lighting too.

Thanks in advance

Kenilworth

Not to be lazy and unhelpful, but a quick search of this forum will reveal eighty-four trillion previous threads about lights. Have a look through some of those.

As for lumens, I was happy with 50 until I bought a lamp with 250, and was tickled with those until I bought a lamp with 800. Reasonably though, if you can get 150 with decent runtime, there's no reason that won't work fine. It all depends on what you want, how much money you have, and what your friends have. It seems that the thing to do is for everyone to try and catch up to their companion with the brightest light. I tend to do the opposite, and often turn my light off entirely when caving with a group.

Headlamps are much preferable to handheld ones.

royfellows

I think that much depends on whether you are solo or in a group or caving or exploring a big slate mine. In other words, horses for courses.

Going to the max end of it,....... ah, I was going to say that that 2K of beam is more than enough, but then realised that its only me that offers 2K or more of beam!

I think I'll keep out of it
;)

bograt

Sorry, can't help, Can't adjust from "candlepower" to lumens, anyone got a conversion factor?

Antwan

bograt said:
Sorry, can't help, Can't adjust from "candlepower" to lumens, anyone got a conversion factor?
You can borrow 2.35 until tomorrow morning when I need it back  :LOL:
Dunno if it will help with the conversion between candle power and lumens though as there measured differently ( I have a milliin candle power spot lamp thats comparable to a 3000lumen buke lamp if that helps?)

ChrisJC

My lamp has two brightnesses. 1600lm for general mooching about, and 11200lm for large caverns.

1600lm is really too bright to be honest, half or a quarter of that would be fine, and less antisocial!

Chris.

TomTom

I'm beginning to think I have nightvison, I've caved quite happily on 20lm in the past. Usually it's 90-180lm these days unless I'm specifically trying to light something up for some reason.

In many ways it's not how much you have, it's how you use it (to butcher a certain phrase). Don't want to be trying to deal with a beam that is good for lighting up a postage stamp but nothing wider. The cheapest option is to just cave with someone with a mammoth lamp, just use their light as it'll be daylight all around them  8)

The Petzl Myo XP/RXP were always good cheapish torches for caving, they have been changed recently though so not sure with the current model.

royfellows

ChrisJC said:
My lamp has two brightnesses. 1600lm for general mooching about, and 11200lm for large caverns.

1600lm is really too bright to be honest, half or a quarter of that would be fine, and less antisocial!

Chris.

Yes, his figures are correct, it is lumens not lux.
I have seen his lamp. To the best of my knowledge the most powerful headlamp in existence.

TomTom

royfellows said:
ChrisJC said:

Chris.

Yes, his figures are correct, it is lumens not lux.
I have seen his lamp. To the best of my knowledge the most powerful headlamp in existence.

All I can imagine is someone caving dragging this behind them  ;)
flip-top-mobile-generator.jpg

royfellows

As daft as it sounds, with modern Li Ion cells, its not that bad. I do a 12V 10 AH belt mount pack that's about 1/3 weight and 1/2 the size of the old Oldham lead acid battery.
People have joked about running a car off it but Li Ion wont take the hit of a starter motor. Not at the present time, but I think a case of 'watch this space'

caving_fox

royfellows said:
As daft as it sounds, with modern Li Ion cells, its not that bad. I do a 12V 10 AH belt mount pack that's about 1/3 weight and 1/2 the size of the old Oldham lead acid battery.
People have joked about running a car off it but Li Ion wont take the hit of a starter motor. Not at the present time, but I think a case of 'watch this space'

How do Tesla's and the like work then? They're Li batteries (and one of the largest consumers of them in the world)
But yes battery tech is continually improving driven by a huge need for better batteries. There hasn't been as much progress in batteries as in many other comparable fields because it is a hard problem.

royfellows

I know nothing about Tesla's but should have mentioned that charging is part of the equation as well with Li Ions generally restricted to about 0.5 of capacity.

royfellows

Bottlebank said:
I don't think Tesla cars have starter motors - they're fully electrical so far as I know.

We therefore have the answer to our own question, as an electric how big will the battery be!
:eek:

global_s

Would they just need higher amp batteries? The ones in my ecig can discharge at 30a, but really serious kit is moving to LiPo