Baselayers

Fiona

Hello,

I often find that I get very cold underground and always cave with a thermal layer underneath my fleece. A friend mentioned that they wear a neoprene base layer to keep warm but I was wondering what everyone else did to stay warm underground.

Thanks

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Rab Power Stretch leggings are great if you like separate tops and bottoms.  Use whatever combination of thermal tops suit the caving trip (HH Lifa base layer and two 100 weight micro fleece tops for example).  Others speak very highly of the AV one piece undersuit.

Griffin

I went for a cheapo sports direct thin base layer top and leggings a couple of years ago, and they have been good so far. The top could do with being a little thicker but the leggings are great, not too tight or thick to feel restrictive. I also have one of their Karrimor running tops, which has a smoother silky texture to it and is warmer than the other one. Usually wear a buff or (network rail issue!) balaclava too.

caving_fox

Try a new furry! You don't quite realise how thin your old (how many years have I had that now?) furry has become until you compare it against a new one! You can also get thicker furries if you want to. Cave faster is always the best option though.

badger

marino wool products. you will find lots of companies making products. do you homework to find the best value.

topcat

I use merino wool quite a lot in the winter for mountain sports but I'm surprised to see it recommended for caving: it's crap when wet!

Over the Hill

topcat said:
I use merino wool quite a lot in the winter for mountain sports but I'm surprised to see it recommended for caving: it's crap when wet!

May be crap when wet (an opinion) but at least compared to polypro you wont smell like the Old Braida Garth Poo Bucket as tipped out in Valley Entrance by the NCC when one particular Cambridge University caver was spotted doing a through trip.  :halo: